An overweight body will require adequate support to protect the spine from becoming misaligned while you sleep. This is why it is necessary to find the best bed frame for an overweight person to help provide you with the right support for you and your mattress at the same time.
How Much Weight can a Bed Frame Hold?
The weight capacity will vary depending on the materials used, design, and size of the frame. Traditionally, the maximum capacity of a bed frame is 500 lbs of evenly distributed weight. There are heavy duty bed frames, on the other hand, that can handle between 1,000 lbs to 4,000 lbs of weight. This should include the weight of the mattress and the weight of the people who will be sleeping on the bed. If you choose the wrong material and type, it is possible that the material will bend or sag in the middle because of too much weight. You need to do your research on the weight capacity of the bed frames in the market to get the appropriate support for your body.
How to Choose the Best Bed Frame for Heavy Person?
An overweight person needs a sturdy bed frame that will support their body. But how will you know which is the best bed frame for you? There are a few factors that you should take into account when searching for bed frames to match your height and weight. Here are a few that you need to consider.
- Weight Capacity – Like was mentioned before, an average bed frame can easily carry up to 500 lbs of the combined weight of the people in bed as well as the mattress. You should look for a bed frame that is designed specifically for those who are carrying more weight. A heavy duty bed frame can easily support up to 4,000 lbs which is something to keep an eye on.
- Slats – Crisscross slats on bed frames may be hard to find, but they do offer maximum support for a heavy person. The two frequent designs are those that have horizontal or vertical slats. If you will get one that sports horizontal slats, the slats should be wide with minimal space in between. Keep in mind that the best mattress for heavy people will require adequate support too that will prevent it from sagging.
- Additional Legs – A typical bed frame will be sporting only four legs, but frames for heavy sleepers often have extra legs to ensure that the frame is capable of handling the added weight. As a matter of fact, a heavy duty bed frame usually comes with up to 9 legs for stability.
- Construction – A steel construction metal bed does offer adequate support for an overweight person, but you need to make sure that the rods that connect the parts are not thin. Thin rods will not be able to offer you and your mattress enough support. Wooden bed frames that are made from solid hardwood is a good option, but they will be pricey.
- Warranty – Even if you will be purchasing a steel construction frame for your weight, it is always a good idea to look for one that comes with a long warranty. This is for your protection, especially when you have experienced a bed frame breaking in just a few months. A warranty can give you a chance to return the product and get a refund or replacement for it.
- Price – Bed frames for heavy users will be more expensive than traditional frames, but you still need to compare rates whenever you can to ensure that you are getting the best deal available.
- Assembly – Another factor that you need to consider when you are shopping for bed frames is how quickly you can assemble them. Take note that not everyone has the patience to handle putting the parts together. If you are one of those, look for bed frame heavy duty that will require minimal assembly time. Fortunately, many of these bed frames simply unfold and lock thus saving you precious time.
- Storage Space – If you want to have more storage space to work with, look for the best bed frame that has an adequate height from the floor. You should measure how much space you will want to have under your bed and determine what kinds of things you will place under your bed.
- Mattress Types – You should also factor in the type of mattress that you will be using. The best mattress heavy people tend to vary on who will be using it. Also, not all bed frames will be compatible with memory foam, but most of them can work with a box spring. Always make sure that your choice for the best mattresses for heavy people will be supported by the bed frame, otherwise, your sleep may not be that good at all.
Best Bed Frames to Consider
Investing in a sturdy bed that will be able to support your frame is important if you want to be able to sleep well at night. And if you are a bit on the heavy side, these bed frames for heavy people are worth checking out.
AmazonBasics Foldable, 14″ Metal Platform Bed Frame
If you are looking for the best bed frame to accommodate your weight, this metal bed frame is a good place to start. It sports a raised, rectangular-shape style that was made sturdier by the horizontal slats and rows of wires that cross of wires that create the perfect platform to support your mattress without the need of a box spring. It is compatible with all kinds of mattresses such as memory foam and latex. This metal bed is made from durable steel which can carry up to 250 lbs of weight.
What else can you expect from this steel construction bed frame? It offers a noise-free support for your heavy weight regardless of how often you toss and turn at night. Your sleep will not be interrupted with this bed frame which is a plus for any sleeper. In addition, this bed frame has ample storage space underneath which measures at 13 inches. You can slide in your personal belongings like boxes, suitcases, and other items out of sight. It won’t be a tight fit for sure, plus it does not require a box spring to give you that space you need under the bed. When you buy this product, you will get up to a year’s worth of warranty which should be enough for you to test run the bed frame.
- A sturdy bed frame that can accommodate all kinds of mattresses.
- It can support up to 250 lbs of weight.
- Made from heavy duty steel that offers enough support for heavy weights.
- No need for a box spring to create space under the bed.
- One user complained that the sharp edges of the platform bed tore their mattress.
- Another reviewer wasn’t able to sleep well because the bed frame squeaks when they move.
- The spaces of the slats may not be appropriate for a memory foam mattress thus reducing the support that they get at night.
Zinus Shawn 14 Inch Metal SmartBase Bed Frame
Another option to consider for the best bed frame for heavy people is from Zinus Shawn. This smartbase mattress foundation combines the benefits of a box spring and bed frame in one. You don’t even have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to set up this SmartBase mattress frame because it will only take you a few minutes to get it up and ready to use. A heavy duty steel is used in place of traditional box springs, thus making it more convenient for you to set up your mattress at night. The steel wires are spaced evenly at 4 inches apart and the legs sport plastic caps to prevent the steel from gouging your floors.
There is also an underbed storage area for you once you have finished setting up this bed frame. If you will get the base model, it can accommodate up to 250 lbs, but the bigger ones can have the capacity to handle up to 500lbs of weight capacity. What else is there to enjoy when you purchase this frame? You will get up to 5 years of warranty which I think is a good deal already. If it can support a heavy weight and a foam mattress, then this is worth a shot.
- This bed frame is made from heavy duty steel which ensures durability and strength.
- It is easy to assemble and will only take a few minutes of your time to set it up.
- No need to get a box spring as the design of the frame provides enough support to keep a memory foam mattress in place with little to no sagging.
- It comes with at least 13 inches of space underneath to store your belongings.
- Has a warranty of five years.
- One user complained that the frame wasn’t sturdy as was evidenced when they move around at night.
- Another user reported that the some of the metal bars snapped due to their weight and their preferences of sitting on the edge of the bed.
- A user complained that the legs were pointing outwards that caused her to bump her toes several times.
Olee Sleep 14 Inch Heavy Duty Bed Frame
When it comes to the best bed frame, Olee Sleep has this 14 inch heavy duty bed frame that is worth adding to this list. The first thing that I loved abut this metal bed is its minimalist design which will work well with any home. It is a sturdy bed frame that is capable of accommodating heavy weights. Its 14inch heavy duty steel frame provides adequate support for the mattress to prevent it from sagging or slipping off. It doesn’t matter whether you are using a memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattress, because this steel bed frame can handle them all.
It has plenty of storage underneath as the legs are strategically placed at a good distance from one another without compromising support. You can slip your luggage, boxes, and baskets and whatnot underneath and still have more room for your knicknacks. Olee Sleep ensures that you will not be spending more than a few minutes setting this up as all the tools and parts needed to put them together are already included in the package.
- Minimalist design makes it a great addition to any room.
- It is compatible with differen types of mattresses.
- Has ample storage underneath the bed with its 13 inches clearance.
- It is made from heavy duty materials that can support heavy people easily.
- One user complained that the joints started to squeak after a year of use.
- The bed frame tends to slide on laminated floors.
- Another reviewer reported that the mattress tend to fall in between the slats that they had to use a plyboard to prevent it.
Linenspa 14 Inch Folding Metal Platform Bed Frame
I would also recommend this folding metal platform bed frame from Linenspa to those who are looking for the best bed frame for heavy users. If you are not a fan of using a box spring for your mattress, then you will be happy to know that this one doesn’t require it at all. It is a sturdy and heavy duty bed frame that gives you a reliable place to sleep on even when you are overweight. It can be used together with all kinds of mattresses which is a plus in my book.
Bed frames are supposed to be a breeze to set up even on your own. Fortunately, Linenspa made sure that it will be because you only need to use the tools included in the package to tighten screws to keep the parts in place and that’s it. Once you have set up your heavy duty bed frame, place your mattress and you can start sleeping on it if you like. There is plenty of space under the steel frame which is a plus and you don’t need other bed accessories for it too. It has this unique design that makes use of anti-slip treads, support braces, and a grid design to ensure that your mattress will not start sagging under your heavy weight. The best part? It can provide support up to 750 lbs of weight capacity.
- This bed frame can easily accommodate up to 750 lbs of weight which is why it is worth considring for heavy duty bed frames.
- Easy to assemble as all parts and tools are included.
- Compatible with all kinds of mattresses.
- It has plenty of storage underneath it.
- One user doesn’t recommend this bed frame to those who are using memory foam mattresses.
- Another customer was not too happy with the quality of the materials used.
- Another spotted that there was no feature that will help hold the mattress in place.
Classic Brands Hercules Black Heavy Duty Bed Frame
Since we are talking about bed frames for heavy users,I would like to mention Classic Brands as one of the products that you should check. This 14 inch metal bed frame is strong, stury, and heavy duty which is what you should look for in a mattress foundation. You may be feeling confused as to whether this should be considered as a mattress foundation only or a bed frame. Well, it is both to be honest. You don’t have to invest on a box spring with this mattress frame because it does the same job too. The difference is that the Hercules ushers in a breath of fresh air with its modern design. What makes this a good option too is that it has 12 points of contact on the floor which is certainly better compared to traditional frames.
Another reason why you should consider this product as a great bed frame to invest in is that it will take you a couple of minutes to set it up. Of course, before you do place an order, make sure that you know the size of your mattress, its thickness, and whether it is capable of handling your weight capacity. I guess, with a name like Hercules, you can expect that this bed frame is perfectly capable of carryng a heavy person with ease. You will get at least 13 inches of space under it too.
Finding the best bed frame shouldn’t be that hard to do as long as you know what to look for. Use this as your guide when you are out shopping for a mattress foundation or bed frame that can carry a heavy person with ease.
- This metal frame is sturdy and can be used by a heavy person without worrying about breaking it.
- You can do away with the box spring as the mesh design ensures that any mattress will be handled easily.
- It does have 12 points of contact on the floor which can also mean sturdiness.
- It will only take you a few minutes to set it up and ready for use.
- It is not fully capable of handling a weight capacity of 600 lbs.
- Another user was worried that the frame will not be able to carry his and his wife’s weight.
- A creaking sound tends to appear after a while which is bothersome.
The real question here though is which is the best bed frame for a heavy person? I think I would go with Linenspa folding metal platform bed frame. Why? Because it can support heavy weights without breaking or snapping so quickly. Also, all the parts are easy to assemble with the tools included in the kit. It will take you less than 10 minutes to complete the task.
It works with any mattress which is a plus, especially the memory foam, so you don’t have to change mattresses any time soon.
4 of the Best Full Size Cabinet Bed Options
Small spaces are challenging, especially when you want to stick with traditional beds. Here are the best full size cabinet bed options for your that...