I look forward to the end of the day when I can finally relax and sit up in front of the TV or laze around on the couch. I found that the best companion for reading and relaxing is a bed rest pillow. If you tend to slump over or get into weird, unsustainable shapes when reading, you’ll love it for the support and comfort it gives. If you want the best bed rest pillow in the market, read on.
A Guide to Buying the Best Bed Rest Pillow
A bed rest pillow is commonly shaped like a chair without the base. It’s flanked by two armrests. The pillow’s height can vary. It’s usually filled with foam or other types of fill. The cover may also be removable. Bed rest pillows offer both comfort and support. People use them in bed or on the couch as they unwind and watch television. You can use them for gaming and even while working. The most common use for this type of pillow is as a reading pillow.
What are the advantages/benefits of the best bed rest pillow?
A bed rest pillow improves posture.
This is my main reason for buying a bed rest pillow. I use it as a reading pillow to prop me up while I go through a book. If you have a tendency to slump over on the bed or couch, you’ll need something upright to coax you into the ideal posture. This is great for your muscles and your breathing as well.
A good bed rest pillow cradles your head and neck. There are even pillows that support your arms.
A bed rest pillow supports your back.
Because the pillow has a vertical angle instead of a sloped one that’s more conducive for naps, it maintains an upright posture that supports your back. The right pillow material will adapt well to your spine and provide lumbar support. This is perfect for people who don’t want lower back pain when gaming, reading, or watching TV.
A bed rest pillow allows you to get comfortable anywhere.
Bed rest pillows can be moved from one place to another. You can use it on your bed, your couch, or even outdoors. A good pillow is breathable, so you stay cool as you lounge in your free time. They’re made of soft material that enhances relaxation.
A bed rest pillow can help you stay organized while you relax.
Did you know these nifty pillows can also have pockets at the sides? Tuck your gadgets out of sight but within reach. You can also use them to store your extra craft materials, balls of yarn, a pen, or what-have-you. Some bed rest pillows can have a cup holder, too, which reduces trips to the kitchen while you take a break.
How to choose the best bed rest pillow
Before buying a bed rest pillow, consider these factors.
- Pillow Material – Because its primary function is for upright use, a bed rest pillow is ideally made of firm material. This isn’t the time for fancy feather pillows. Fiberfill, polyester, and shredded foam are commonly used ones that do the job. You also need to ensure that the pillow doesn’t skimp on comfort because you’ll be reclining on it for long stretches of time. This is mostly up to personal preference. Read reviews thoroughly and try out the pillows in person if you can. If this isn’t possible, look for a brand with a good return policy.
- Size – Size is important because you want a bed rest pillow that fits you just right. If it’s too short or slim, it might aggravate pains and at the very least, be uncomfortable to use when reading or lounging. Look for something wide enough for you, especially around your shoulders and hips. Thickness is important, too. Something too flimsy will buckle under your weight or flatten too much, rendering useless its supportive features. If you’re especially tall, take note of the pillow height. You’ll want your neck and head to be supported.
- Cover – In general, breathable and soft fabric is the ideal cover for a bed rest pillow. It should let heat dissipate from the pillow and feel good on your skin. This can depend on your preference as well. For example, if you hate the feel of synthetic fabrics, steer clear of them. Machine washable covers are good to have for easy cleaning.
- Type – There are different kinds of bed rest pillows. The most common one is the reading pillow with extended sections for the arms. These are thicker and good for supporting the upper torso. Wedge pillows are triangle-shaped blocks that elevate a part of your body as you sleep. They’re good for alleviating back pain and minimizing snoring. Cervical pillows have a curved profile, excellent for neck pain. A body pillow is great for side sleepers because of its long and narrow shape. Lastly, bolster pillows are similar to body pillows. They are firm pillows that support the back and arms.
- Price – A good bed rest pillow doesn’t have to be expensive. However, a higher cost will often give you more features. That’s not to say that the more expensive you go, the better a pillow can be. You need to keep an eye out for the features essential to you versus the qualities that are good to have but you can do without.
The 5 Best Bed Rest Pillows You Need in Your Home
LINENSPA Shredded Foam Pillow
This is a shredded foam reading pillow that has epic proportions and supreme comfort. It comes in standard, extra-large, and extra-large with neck support. If you’re above 6 feet tall, you’re going to find the extra-large husband pillow more than enough for you. If you’re average-sized, the standard husband pillow will fit you well, even though they advertise it for kids.
Inside the cover is a CertiPUR US-certified shredded memory foam blend, meaning the Linenspa backrest pillow is high-quality and free of harmful chemicals. Shredded memory foam is a material that adapts well to the body so you’ll always feel supported as you read, knit, game, or whatever leisure activity you do.
Now, for the specifications. This husband pillow is 18 inches high on the back for the standard version, with a width of 15 inches at the shoulders. The padded armrests are extra cozy at 5 inches thick and 11 inches long.
The polyester velour cover is soft and durable. It comes in navy and stone, which won’t clash with your couch or bed.
Because of the memory foam fill plus the large size, the Linenspa Shredded Foam Pillow has your back, literally. It’s amazing for people with injuries and back pain because it supports both neck and back. You’ll have topnotch shoulder and lumbar support, too.
On the downside, the reading pillow doesn’t have a machine washable cover. It’s spot clean only. Because of its size, this husband pillow is also heavy. You’ll need adequate storage for it. Good thing it has a fabric carry handle for portability.
- Shredded foam reading pillow with 3 variations
- Great for tall and plus-sized people
- Made of CertiPUR US-certified shredded memory foam blend
- Has a soft velour cover and comes in 2 neutral colors
- Great for supporting the shoulders, neck and back
- Has a carry handle
- Doesn’t have a machine washable cover
- Is a bulky pillow
If you want to be astonished, just look at the dimensions of this husband pillow. It is both tall and wide, perfect for those who want lots of room when reading and watching TV.
For the exact measurements, this is 31 inches high and 16 inches wide at the shoulders. The armrests are 12 inches long and 7 inches thick. This reading pillow doesn’t skimp on the padding and is one of the best bed rest pillows for plush comfort.
The filling is made of shredded memory foam. It has a microplush cover that comes in nearly all colors of the rainbow. Because it’s removable and washable, the husband pillow is easy to clean.
The features that make the Husband Pillow an easy recommendation are the neck pillow and pockets.
The neck pillow is detachable. It’s great for support while leaning and prevents neck strain and back pain. If you find that it’s unnecessary, you can take it off and use it somewhere else.
Secondly, the pockets in this backrest pillow come in handy for storing remotes, magazines, glasses, a small drink, and anything you can think of that you’ll want nearby. It comes with both back and side pockets.
In addition, you can adjust the thickness of the backrest pillow by adding or removing fill. You can fluff up the foam if you need more support in certain areas. There’s also a handle so you can move the pillow around easily.
The only caveat I can think of is the pillow’s price. It’s expensive but it does come with a money-back guarantee and a 3-year warranty.
- A very roomy backrest pillow
- Has a shredded memory foam fill
- The cover comes in several colors and is washable
- Has a detachable neck pillow
- Has side and back pockets
- The reading pillow has an adjustable loft
- Comes with a carry handle
- Has a money-back guarantee and warranty
Milliard Reading Pillow with Shredded Memory Foam
This is one of the best bed rest pillows for reading and watching TV. Its firmness is also good if you play video games a lot on a console or computer.
The Milliard Reading Pillow comes in 4 sizes: standard, standard 18-inch, petite, and extra-large.
The extra-large backrest pillow is 30 inches high and 18 inches wide at the shoulders. The armrest is 15 inches long and 8 inches thick. If you order the other sizes, keep in mind they run a bit small. They’re perfect for small women and children.
The high density shredded memory foam fill gives high quality, light and airy support. It serves a sturdy backrest when reading. You can change the firmness by adding or removing the fill. Access this through a zippered compartment.
Milliard also additional fresh foam if you need more firmness. These are CertiPUR-US certified, so they’re made of safe materials.
The velour cover has a velveteen feel. The fabric is easy to clean with no spot cleaning necessary. It’s removable and machine washable for maintenance and stain removal. Milliard has replacement covers available, too.
You can also use the bed rest reading pillow as a bolster for your back and like a wedge pillow to elevate your legs. If you suffer from heartburn or nasal congestion, use this when you sleep to support your neck and back.
The reading pillow only comes in light gray which will show stains quickly. I also couldn’t find any information on the warranty on the product page.
- Comes in 4 sizes
- Has a CertiPUR-US certified shredded memory foam fill
- Gives firm back support but can be adjusted to your preference
- The velour cover is removable and machine washable
- A bed rest pillow that serves several purposes
- Sizes run a bit small
- The color might be a stain magnet
- There’s no information on the warranty on the page
Vekkia Premium Soft Reading & Bed Rest Pillow
If you want a firm reading bed rest pillow, the Vekkia is an excellent option. When you touch it, you’ll feel the plush velvet encasing the foam fill. The high quality cover is removable and machine washable for easy cleaning. You can also spot clean it with a damp cloth.
It has pockets on the arm and back so you can store your knick-knacks within arm’s reach as you relax. This is great for remotes, glasses, an extra magazine, and cellphones. The Vekkia backrest pillow can be carried from one room to another with its carry handle, in case you need to take your lounging or reading to another spot.
The reading pillow comes in 2 versions: an 18 inch pillow and a 24 inch pillow with neck support. For the larger pillow, you get a detachable neck pillow that you can use as a footrest or a bolster. The height makes it suitable for those over 5’9″.
When it comes to the firmness of fill, the Vekkia is on the firm side. It’s made of a combination of memory foam and ordinary foam. With a purchase, you’ll also receive 200g of extra foam. Customize your pillow by removing or adding more foam through the zippered opening. You can also shift the foam in the areas where you need more back support.
The Vekkia Reading & Bed Rest Pillow comes 5 colors. Some may find it too bulky and heavy. It’s also an expensive reading pillow.
- Has a velvet cover that’s removable and machine washable
- Comes with front and back pockets
- Has a carry handle
- Comes in two sizes
- Made of firm and supportive memory foam and ordinary foam fill
- You can choose from 5 colors
- Bulky and heavy pillow
- One of the pricier memory foam bed rest pillows
WOWMAX Triangular Reading Pillow
If you’re after a reading pillow that doubles as a decorative headrest, it’s hard to find something more stylish that the Wowmax Triangular Reading Pillow.
It fits beds from twin to California King and has several additional sizes. This pillow also comes in many colors from neutral shades to vibrant hues. It’s a rectangular pillow with a triangular-shaped profile to support the back and neck while you recline in bed.
It has a four-point support mechanism that hugs the curves of your spine and gives excellent lumbar support. It ensures that you sit up in the most optimal position to relieve soreness and pain.
You can also use it as a sleeping pillow to prop up your head or your legs. If you like reading in bed, the Wowmax is helpful whether you’re reading on your front or back.
The corduroy cover is removable by unbuttoning the front section. It’s machine washable too.
Underneath the fabric is a polyester fiberfill which gives the pillow its fluffiness. It’s eco-friendly and will not deform after use. If you’re sensitive to the smell of memory foam, this is a good alternative.
The reading pillow also doubles as a headrest or alternative headboard. This is useful for dorms, RVs, and trailers. You can use it on sofas, daybeds, floating windows, and anywhere else you lounge and read.
Because of its form factor, the Wowmax is portable and durable. To top it off, it also has pockets for easy storage wherever you go.
The main weakness of the pillow is the durability of the buttons. Most users have no complaints but others have noted that the buttons have popped off from too much tension. It makes removing the cover a bit finicky as well.
- A stylish reading pillow with multiple sizes and colors
- Offers neck and back support using a unique mechanism
- Can be used while sleeping or reading while lying in bed
- Has a removable, washable corduroy cover
- Filled with fluffy polyester fiberfill
- Serves multiple uses and great for sleeping or reading in bed
- Contains pockets
- Buttons are not durable
- Removing the cover takes practice
Those are just some of the best bed rest pillows on the market today. Most of them are husband pillows and one is a versatile bolster pillow. They all have their pros and cons and come at different prices.
My pick is the Husband Pillow because although I appreciate the versatility of something like the Wowmax Reading Pillow, I like to have support for my arms when reading. Shredded memory foam is a plus because of how comfortable it is.
The structure of a husband pillow gives excellent back support. I need back support in particular because I tend to slouch when reading in bed.
I love pockets because they are useful for stowing things so they don’t slip into the crevices of the couch or under the bed.
The Husband Pillow is roomy enough for all relaxation activities. The cover is easy to remove and wash, too, which makes it easy to maintain its appearance.
Reading pillows like the Husband Pillow makes for the best companion for reading in bed or watching TV. Your weekends won’t be the same without a cozy pillow like this.
Aloe Vera Bamboo Body Pillow Review – Everything You Need to Know Before Buying
Do you consider buying the Aloe Vera Bamboo Body Pillow? Read our review and you will know if it is going to improve your sleep or not...
5 Best Leg Elevation Pillow Models | Injury & Surgery Recovery and Better Circulation
Elevating your leg in bed will help you recovering from injuries and improving blood circulation. Learn in this article about the best leg elevation pillow...
Best Pillow for Combination Sleepers
If you are one of those who constantly change their sleeping position during the night, then this one is for you. We help you find the best pillow for perfect...
Panda Life Pillow Review – Everything You Need to Know Before Buying
If you consider buying a bamboo pillow, the Panda Life Pillow is definitely one to consider for you. We tell you why and what to consider before buying...
Best Wool Blankets | 5 Top Options & Buying Guide
Who does not want to spend cold winter days and nights under the best wool blankets? 5 options that guarantee cosiness, comfort and warmth and how to find the...
5 Best Contour Pillow Options for Neck & Head Support
It's time to blame your pillow if you've been constantly waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Consider our best contour pillow picks if neck pain...