Dust mites, dander, dirt, sweat, and natural oils can easily accumulate on your pillow. Unfortunately, those who have allergies may find that their sleep is interrupted because of the irritation on their nose. A good way to solve this problem is to look for the best hypoallergenic pillows. Fortunately, there is no shortage of this type of pillow, but which one should you get?
What Do You Mean by Hypoallergenic Pillow?
A hypoallergenic pillow is a type of pillow that combines both manmade and natural fibers to prevent allergic reactions from taking place. It can contain materials that are capable of preventing allergens from forming on the surface. A pillow that comes with a breathable cover makes it impossible for dust mites to thrive on the surface as well as a buildup of molds and mildew which are dangerous to one’s health. Pillows these days do have this capability, but some have more protection compared to others.
Factors to Consider when Shopping for Hypoallergenic Pillows
Allergy sufferers who are in the lookout for the best pillow for their condition should start with the one that will not cause their allergies to attack. Fortunately, this is where a hypoallergenic pillow will come in. This type of pillow comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, that it might be a bit overwhelming for you when you need to narrow down your choices. I understand that this won’t be an easy task, but with the factors listed below, you might land the right one for you.
One factor that you should take into account when shopping for a pillow with hypoallergenic properties is your favorite sleep position. Different sleep positions require different height and thickness when it comes to pillows. Here’s what you need to know:
- Side sleepers – Side sleepers sleep either on their left or right side. Either way, you will need a few extra pillows with you. One for the head, the other to be placed between your knees, and the next is on your stomach or back for additional support.
- Stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers prefer to sleep on their belly with their head turned to one side. Experts recommend that you do not use any pillows if this is your preferred sleeping pose. However, if you do want to use one, choose one that is thin to keep your spine aligned.
- Back sleepers – For those who prefer to lie on their back, you only need a hypoallergenic pillow that has a medium thickness to keep your spine in the right alignment.
What materials are used to create pillows with hypoallergenic features should also be looked into. The fillings used can also play a part in how hypoallergenic the pillow is. Here are a few materials to search for.
- Natural fibers – Natural materials like linen and cotton guarantee that the pillow will be breathable, light, and will keep dust mites at bay. You should also look at fillings that are made from natural fibers such as Kapok and buckwheat.
- Man-made – Materials that are made by man, such as in the case of polyester, do have hypoallergenic properties too. However, it doesn’t have much breathability compared to cotton and linen. This means that if you sleep hot, you are better off looking for other materials instead.
- Processed – Materials that have been processed tend to be better than natural fibers because they are broken down into better materials like bamboo and Tencel which are more durable. Both of these materials are known to be hypoallergenic because they are adept in preventing dust mites from settling on the covers.
When searching for the best hypoallergenic pillow, you should also compare prices as much as possible. The best pillows that have hypoallergenic properties can be a bit pricey compared to regular pillows which is why you need to weigh your options before making any purchase. Look for a brand that is trusted and has gained plenty of positive reviews too.
How to maintain a hypoallergenic pillow should be checked too. You should look for one that can be cleaned easily, such as having a removable cover or is machine washable. Not only will this help prolong the life of the pillow itself, but it can also help prevent those pesky particles from accumulating.
Just like when you are checking mattresses, you also need to consider what type of warranty is being offered for the pillow that you are interested in. Typically, retailers will give you up to a hundred days to test the pillows out. If you are not happy with the results or the experience, you will be able to return the item with a full refund included. If there is no warranty included, you are better off checking somewhere else as this feature is for your protection.
What Pillows are the Best?
What are the best pillows, you ask? I was surprised that there were tons of pillows that come with hypoallergenic properties that I was at a loss on which one to get. I thought long and hard about the options available and these are the ones that stood out for me.
Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow
The Beckham Hotel Collection pillow is made from gel-filled fiber pillows that are covered with 100% cotton fabric. What you will love about this pillow is its no-shift construction meaning that the filling inside it will not shift too much when you sleep. Once you lie down on it, you will fall into a deep sleep in no time. What else is there to like about the Beckham Hotel gel pillow? It is efficient in preventing dust mites, mildew, and molds from forming which is why this is one of the pillows that you should look into if you need a hypoallergenic pillow.
It is also machine washable so you don’t have to worry about stains from forming or even fading with regular washing. You will find that it is easy to maintain and that it is chemical and allergen-free. If you are diagnosed with asthma, allergies, or even other respiratory problems, this is a good choice to get. It also comes with a 30-day guarantee so you can have it returned if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
- Covered with 100% cotton material that is breathable and comfortable to sleep on.
- Prevents dust mites, molds, and mildew from forming on the surface and within the pillow.
- Machine washable makes it easier to maintain.
- Ideal for those who have respiratory issues.
- It sleeps hot meaning that you will wake up in a sweat.
- One user found it to be too firm for their users that it was uncomfortable to sleep on.
- It doesn’t have any gel fillers to it since it sleeps hot.
Coop Home Goods – Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow
Coop Home Goods is another brand that you should look into if you want a pillow that will cater to all types of sleepers. What’s great about this pillow is that the filler can be removed or increased until you find the right loft and thickness based on your preferences. To access the filler, simply unzip the outer cover, followed by the inner layer, and from there, you can take out the filling or add more. The filling is made from high-quality material and not those that have been recycled or deteriorating. After all, Coop Home Goods promises good value for your money.
Another thing that I liked about this pillow is that if you can’t find the right loft for this pillow, the company will help adjust it according to your preferences. You don’t have to worry about your allergy acting up as well because the materials used here are chemical-free with certification to prove it. It is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, pet dander, and other particles that may affect your sleep.
- The adjustable pillow lets you find the right loft based on your sleep position.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant features make it an ideal option for allergy sufferers.
- A chemical-free pillow protects you against various irritants.
- Comes with 1/2 lb of filler-free of charge.
- It comes with a chemical scent after unpacking that doesn’t go away completely.
- Another user complained that it was a high maintenance type of pillow as it needs to be fluffed up constantly.
- It tends to lose its loft after a year of use.
WonderSleep Dream Rite Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow
WonderSleep Dream Rite’s take on hypoallergenic pillows is amazing given that it makes use of shredded memory foam to create a pillow that follows the contour of your head and neck. It is made from 80% shredded memory foam and 20% polyester fiber to create that perfect pillow to sleep on. No more aches and pains in the morning with this pillow on hand since you will be able to adjust the height and thickness as you see fit. This is an advantage too if you are a combination sleeper or you have a preferred sleeping position. Stomach sleepers can also use this pillow by removing the filling until you find the right height and thickness.
Another feature that you will love about this alternative pillow is that the materials used for the cover make it breathable. This means that you will not sleep hot at night. It is understandable that you’ll feel worried about your pillow getting hot because of the memory foam filling, but this will not have the same effects. This is because of the fabric that covers the filling where air can easily pass through. And most importantly, this pillow is completely hypoallergenic so you don’t have to worry about your allergy acting up.
- Made from 80% shredded memory foam and 20% polyester fiber that creates a comfortable pillow to lie on.
- Ideal for all types of sleepers including those who prefer to sleep on their stomach.
- The breathable cover allows air to pass through better so heat will not buildup easily.
- Hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites too.
- One user commented that the pillow was too fluffy for their taste.
- Another customer reported that the memory foam remained stiff and will not go flat after months of use.
- Some customers remarked that the pillow tends to fall flat after hours of use that they had to fluff it up every few hours which disrupted their sleep.
Pillows for Sleeping,Hypoallergenic Bed Pillow for Side Sleeper
Allergy sufferers who want to be able to sleep peacefully at night should look for a fully adjustable, hypoallergenic pillow. Fortunately, this one is a great option to consider since it has earned plenty of rave reviews from its customers. Since you can adjust this product according to your preferences, it is a great option for all types of sleepers. It doesn’t matter if you sleep on your side, back, or stomach even, you will find a comfortable pillow to sleep on here.
What makes this a worthwhile option if you are searching for hypoallergenic pillows is the fact that it is made from high-quality memory foam that shapes itself according to the contours of your head. This gives adequate support to your head, neck, and spine for a more comfortable sleep. No need to worry about lumps forming because that only happens with poor quality filling. What’s more, this pillow will not make you sweat buckets since the material used here lets air circulate better. This is one memory foam pillow that lets you rest comfortably all through the night.
- The adjustable pillow makes it an ideal choice for all kinds of sleepers.
- High-quality memory foam pillow delivers comfort and support to your head, neck, and spine.
- Dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic that keeps away any allergens away from you.
- Sleeps cool and comfy for a good night’s rest.
- The pillow tends to be lumpy and will need regular fluffing.
- The smell that comes with the memory foam filling doesn’t disappear at all.
- A user remarked that the pillow was too firm for their liking.
5 STARS UNITED Standard Size Pillows
Hypoallergenic pillows from this brand are all about comfort and style. At first glance, you know that this is one pillow that will make your bed more inviting and luxurious too. The filling consists of down-alternative to give you that soft and cushy pillow to lie on at night. Mixed with gel-infused microfibers, you won’t have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night all sweaty. The fabric for the cover is made from 100% cotton satin which allows air to circulate from within. The piping on the edges prevents the fill from escaping after regular use.
This pillow is machine washable which makes it easier to get rid of any dust mite that may be resting on the surface. It is perfect for all sleeping positions which makes it a good investment for the entire family. It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee which means that you can send it back if you are not too happy with your experience. You can use this hypoallergenic pillow for personal use, for your business, or in hotels even if you like.
- Down-alternative makes this pillow softer and more comfortable.
- 100% cotton satin cover makes it breathable thus less heat gets trapped inside.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant ideal for anyone who has allergies.
- Machine washable makes it easy to maintain.
- One customer remarked that the pillow tends to fall flat easily which requires you to use two pillows just to get that firmness.
- It is not ideal for side sleepers.
- There is not enough support to get from this type of pillow.
Now that you have an idea of the best hypoallergenic pillows available today, you’re probably thinking, Which pillow is the best among them? I would say that Coop Home Goods is the clear winner here. It is an adjustable pillow that gives you control over the loft and thickness of the pillow so you will find comfortable support to your head and neck when you lie down at night. It can prevent pet dander, dust, and other allergens from accumulating on the cover so you won’t have to worry about your allergy as you rest. This means that you will be able to stay in deep slumber and wake up feeling refreshed.
It comes with free filling and because it is made from 100% cotton cover, you will be happy to know that your pillow will be breathable. No need to worry about sweating too much at night. This is the perfect alternative pillow to have on your bed.
Other Recommended Products
Best Pillows for Shoulder Pain – 5 Top-Rated Options
Hey Slumbers lists the 5 best pillows for shoulder pain, recommended by experts and consumers. Plus, a comprehensive buying guide.
Medcline Pillow Review & Buying Guide – Does This Body Pillow Deliver?
This Medcline Pillow Review provides you with guidance if this pillow can help reducing tightness of your arm and neck from sleeping on your side...