Sleep should not be interrupted or spoiled because you have a lumpy and sagging bed. What you need to do is to look for the best mattress for platform bed that will give you the comfort and support that your body needs for a more relaxing sleep at night.
What is a Platform Bed?
A platform bed is a bed frame made from various materials used as a base for a mattress without the need for box springs. Before the platform bed was simply a low profile frame, slatted, or flat, but since mattresses are constantly evolving, you can find various frames being sold today. I thought it would be a good idea to check out a few.
- Lowered Profile. Platform beds tend to be lower compared to traditional bed frames and are not recommended for those who are struggling to get out of bed. You can use beds with box springs for this one to give that extra lift.
- Floating Platform. This puts the platform under the bed rather than sticking out from the edges which creates the illusion that the bed is floating. Again, this type of bed tends to be lowered and may not be appropriate if you are older or have back issues.
- Little or No Clearance. With many platform beds lowered, there are designs where there is little to no clearance underneath which means that you won’t be able to put anything under it unless it has drawers for storage.
- Metal Base. There are platform beds that are made from metal with slats to hold the mattress. Aside from getting good ventilation, it is also sturdy and will not buckle easily.
Are Platform Beds Bad for Mattresses?
Not everyone is aware of this but the platform bed is actually good for mattresses because it offers a flat and more solid base compared to box springs, plus it also comes with good ventilation that aerates the bed. This helps extend the lifespan of the mattress too because it prevents molds from forming and will prevent the mattress from sagging too. We all know that mattresses are huge investments as they can cost several hundred dollars depending on the materials used. When paired with the wrong base, you can say goodbye to the price you have paid for it.
A platform bed actually works with any type of mattress, whether it is a latex mattress, a hybrid mattress, or a memory foam mattress. Truth be told, if you are considering buying memory foam mattresses, you should pair it with a platform bed because your mattress will have more ventilation to it that will help keep you cool at night. Most mattress sellers will recommend what type of base is ideal for the mattress that they are selling which is a good place to start.
How to Choose the Best Mattress for a Platform Bed?
Finding the best mattress to use on your platform bed may be a bit tough since there are several choices to consider. I am actually torn between getting a memory foam mattress and a hybrid mattress because I was experiencing some back problems lately. If you can’t decide which one to get, I came across these tips that I think will be useful for scoring the right one for your needs.
- Find Ideal Height. When choosing a mattress for your platform bed, it is best that you measure from the floor to the desired height that you want. Since platform beds tend to be lower, you should consider the appropriate height for you. Normally, the height for adults will be between 24 inches to 35 inches.
- Sleeping Position. It is also a good idea that you consider your sleeping position when choosing a mattress best for beds. The memory foam mattress is typically recommended to side sleepers and stomach sleepers, while innerspring and latex mattress is best suited for back sleepers. Hybrid mattresses, on the other hand, can be used for different sleeping positions.
- Plywood vs Slat. Consider the type of platform bed that you have. The slatted platform typically offers more ventilation, while plywood has less air circulating because of its solid base.
- Test Mattress. No matter what mattress you have in mind, make it a point to test it out. Ask the seller what their return policies are. Do not assume that what works for others will work for you too. You might find that sleeping on a memory foam too hot for you even though it is good for side sleepers, only to find that hybrid works best. Testing the bed out will help you land the right one for your platform bed.
Best Mattresses to Consider for Platform Bed
It’s not easy choosing the best among the platform mattresses available in the market, as I have experienced. The good news though is that I have made a list of mattresses that I think will work well with any platform bed. Here’s what I am recommending.
Signature Design by Ashley
This hybrid mattress is made up of gel memory foam, pocket coils, and comfort support foam for a bed that will make you fall into a deep sleep. The comfortable layers help you find a good sleep position without worrying about aches and pains in the morning while the pocket coils ensure that your body is fully supported no matter how you move at night. It is also made from hypoallergenic materials to ensure that no allergens, dust, dirt, and other particles will linger on the surface that will trigger a reaction from you. This is a good option if someone in your house has allergies so they can sleep well at night.
This platform mattress is delivered in a box that you only need to unbox and unroll and wait for the mattress to expand to its original size and height. It does have some odor to it that will take at least 72 hours to fully dissipate, but it is possible to sleep on it once the mattress has completely expanded. I like that it works with different platform bases so there won’t be an issue where you are going to use it. Once fully expanded, you will feel like your body is being cradled as you sleep.
- Made from comfortable layers of gel memory foam, upholster-grade support foam, and pocket coils.
- Pocket coils ensure that the body is fully supported no matter what sleep position.
- Hypoallergenic materials used to prevent allergy attacks from being triggered.
- Works well with any base including platform beds.
- Offers pressure relief due to the combination of pocketed coils and gel memory foam.
- It comes with a smell that doesn’t disappear quickly.
- One user said that the bed did not fully inflate its size and sagged in the middle.
- Another reviewer stated that the mattress was too soft that they still had backaches after using it.
Olee Sleep Galaxy Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
This 13-inch hybrid gel-infused memory foam mattress is another option to consider for your platform bed. It is made from five layers of foam and pocket spring that give comfort and support to promote better sleep. The soft memory foam follows the contours of your body for maximum comfort while the pocket springs, that work independently from one another, deliver extra support to keep your body aligned properly. The good news is that since the memory foam is gel-infused, you will not be sleeping hot.
You won’t suffer from pain in any parts of your body because your pressure points will feel relief from the combination of materials used here. Additionally, to ensure that the mattress will have a longer life span, the coils are protected memory foam layers so they will not deteriorate too quickly. I like that this hybrid mattress has all the right materials incorporated into it to ensure that sleep will not be elusive. What’s more, the quilted fabric cover adds to the overall look of this mattress too. It’s easy enough to set this up because you only need to unroll it after pulling it from the box and that’s it. Simply wait for the mattress to expand completely before using it.
- The thickness is enough to accommodate any sleeper.
- Gel infused memory foam offers a cool sleep at night because it regulates body temperature.
- Pocket coils are covered with foam layers for added padding to prevent quick deterioration.
- Quilted fabric cover protects inner materials and keeps you cool at night.
- Ideal for platform beds too.
- One user complained that the mattress started to lump in certain areas after a few months of use.
- Another reviewer commented that it was too firm for her.
- One customer did not find any relief from their back pains with this mattress.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 14-inch Memory Foam Mattress
Another option that I would suggest for your platform bed is from Sleep Innovations. The first thing that I enjoyed when testing this one out was that it felt soft and firm at the same time. The Advanced Suretemp Memory Foam automatically cradles your body as you put on your weight on the mattress without sinking in way too much. You can easily feel that your pressure points are supported properly. This helps alleviate any pain that you might feel when sleeping on your side. I think this is something to look forward to if you are experiencing chronic pain.
This mattress also comes with Premium Air Channel Foam that promotes breathability and comfort without sacrificing support. Another plus to this mattress is that it has a Premium Base Foam too to ensure that you will not be sinking too much into the mattress. The memory foam mattress will not make you sleep hot because of the triple foam layers that ensure that the temperature is regulated properly. You will be sleeping well into the night because you will feel cool and comfy. It is certiPUR-USA certified which means that it passed quality testing and that you can expect that the materials will last for a long time.
- Suretemp memory foam follows the contour of your body to give you that cradling effect.
- Prevents body from becoming misaligned as you lie in bed at night thus reducing aches and pains.
- Foam layers ensure that you are getting enough support.
- You will sleep cool and comfy because your body temperature is regulated.
- It comes with a ten year warranty.
- One user complained that the mattress started to deteriorate after a few months and started to sag.
- Another user reported that the smell from the mattress remained even after a month.
- One customer noticed that the mattress remained firm which gave her aches and pains.
Perfect Cloud UltraPush 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress
When it comes to the best mattresses for platform beds, I think you should check out this 10-inch memory foam that is made with a 2-inch gel-infused memory foam placed between 1.5-inch layer of air foam. The bottom base is made from 6.5 inches of foam to promote full-body support. The memory foam is ideal for alleviating tension in pressure points such as the neck, shoulders, and head. Don’t worry about sweating at night, because the cooling gel incorporated into the foam will keep your body at the right temperature. This will lead to a more relaxed sleep that will help you feel rejuvenated the following day.
What else is there to like about this mattress for your platform bed? The combination of high quality stretch knit cover and mesh design helps keep the bed well ventilated. This helps with keeping the bed cool at night as well. When you lie on this bed, you will feel weightless as the viscoelastic material shapes itself according to your body’s shape that gives you that feeling of being cradled. It also comes with a motion isolation feature that prevents you from waking your partner and vice versa when you move around. Expect that this bed will come with a ten year warranty so you can return it within that time frame if you are not happy with it.
- Comfortable layers made from different types of foam for maximum comfort and support.
- Memory foam layer alleviates pressure on pressure points on the body for a more relaxed and comfortable sleep.
- No night sweats to worry about as the cooling gel keeps your temperature at the right level.
- The knit cover and mesh design allows air to circulate within the mattress which helps you sleep cool.
- Motion isolation feature prevents you from disturbing your partner’s sleep and vice versa as you switch sleeping position or when you get up.
- One reviewer complained that the mattress sagged after a year of use.
- Another user noticed that the bed was too firm for a side sleeper.
- The cooling gel did not help with regulating temperature as one user experience.
- Another customer said that the mattress was prone to forming molds at the bottom.
Nectar Queen Mattress
The Nectar mattress is yet another option that I would recommend for a platform bed. This brand is actually gaining quite a following online which made me seek it out. It is referred to as a mattress bed-in-a-box when it first came out and it was this catchy phrase that people tried it out. I like the fact that a good quality mattress can come from such packaging. If you get this, you will receive two pillows with it which feels like a steal to me given that mattresses can be quite expensive. Nectar offers 180 days of testing which is more than you will find in other shops. This should be enough time for you to determine whether this mattress is the right one for you.
With regards to the mattress itself, Nectar makes use of a five layer construction which is mostly made up of medical grade visco elastic memory foam, hi core transition foam, 5 lb super core support base, and a tencel long staple fiber cover to protect the materials. Based on these layers, you can already imagine the softness that you will enjoy as you lie down on it with the sturdy base keeping your sinking in check. There are two layers of gel memory foam here which ensure that you will be sleeping comfortably at night. It doesn’t matter what sleeping position you are in, the foam construction will ensure that you will get the support you need to minimize numbness and pain especially on the pressure points.
- Extra pillows will be included in the packaging for added comfort.
- Five layers of memory foam, support base, transition foam, and fiber cover help with providing you with comfort and support while you sleep.
- The memory foam easily shapes itself according to your body’s position on the bed giving that feeling that you are being hugged.
- Your sleep will not be interrupted by your bed warming up at night because the two layers of cooling gel will help regulate the temperature.
- Can work well with any sleeping position.
- One side sleeper commented that the mattress was too firm that they ended up waking with a bad shoulder.
- Another user stated that the mattress did not fully expand to its reported thickness.
- The pillows that were included had a chemical smell to them that did not go away after a few days.
- Another reviewer woke up feeling hot on this mattress.
Dreamfoam Bedding Doze 7″ Mattress
Another example for mattresses for platform beds is Dreamfoam Bedding Doze 7″ mattress. This pressure relieving 7-inch mattress has dual layers only, but it does a great job of minimizing body aches and pains that may plague you from time to time. Basically, you have the base layer which is made up of 6.5 inches of convoluted foam while the top layer is made from 0.5-inch comfort foam. The comfort foam is the one that shapes itself according to your body position while the base foam is the one that offers that unique support, especially in pressure points. Foam mattresses like this are definitely worth checking out if you are having problems with nagging pains in your joints.
What else can you expect from Dreamfoam bedding? It is packed properly in a box for easy shipping and moving. When you unbox it, give it at least 24 hours to expand and to let the mattress aerate too to disperse the smell that may accompany it. This mattress has recieved certification from certiPUR-US to show that there are no chemical components included here. The combination of a comfortable top layer with a sturdy base gives your body the best support there is at night.
- Two layers of foam addresses both comfort and support needed by the sleeper.
- A convoluted foam targets the pressure points of the body for a more relaxed sleep.
- The comfort foam top layer helps cushion the body no matter what sleep position you are in.
- Certified as not having any chemical components to it.
- One customer stated that the mattress was only good for their child and not for the adults in the house.
- In just two months of use, the side where the user has been sleeping on started to sag according to her review.
- Another user complained that the mattress tends to sag in the middle.
Layla Sleep Copper Infused Memory Foam Mattress
If you are looking for the best mattress for your platform bed, the Layla Sleep Copper Infused Memory Foam Mattress is worth a try. I have to say that this is the first time that I have heard of a copper infused mattress, but upon checking, it appears to offer more cooling features compared to those mattresses infused with gel. Another thing that you will enjoy with this type of mattress is that it is designed for all kinds of sleeping positions. You can sleep on your back, your side, or even your stomach without any difficulties because your body is well supported from top to bottom.
I like that this bed has a flip option since one side is soft and the other one is firm. You can switch to any form you prefer depending on your body’s needs. The thermological infused cover helps with keeping your temperature in check as you sleep to prevent you from waking up bathed in sweat or cold to the bone. This mattress is ideal for various bed base including a platform bed. I learned that Layla has partnered with a homeless shelter where, any bed they sell, they will give one to the shelter. They provide a means for customers to help someone out while they enjoy a comfortable bed to sleep on at night.
- Copper infused memory foam disperses heat efficiently so you will be able to sleep well at night.
- Suitable for different sleeping positions as the foam material cradles the body thus giving that feeling of being embraced as you sleep.
- The base foam creates adequate support that will keep your body aligned.
- Can work with different bed base which includes platform base.
- One user complained that the soft side of the bed caused them to sink further into the mattress rather than support them.
- Another reviewer hasn’t been able to decide whether the bed was ideal for them or not given that they have already flipped the bed at least three times.
- Another user complained about the smell coming from the mattress that doesn’t disappear quickly.
With my list of mattresses for platform beds, you might be wondering which one stands out the most for me. That would be Layla Sleep Copper Infused Memory Foam Mattress. I found that the copper infused memory foam is actually efficient in dispersing heat from the mattress which made me sleep well at night. The base foam gave me enough support to stop me from sinking too much. All in all, I felt that my body was cradled correctly and I did not have any pain in my body the following day.
Best Futon Mattress – 4 Top-Rated Options You Can Buy Online
Hey Slumber lists the 4 best futon mattresses you can buy online. How to choose the best futon mattress and our top recommendations.
Inofia Mattress Review | Best Features & Benefits
Learn everything about the Inofia Hybrid Mattress and a few alternatives you to consider if you are looking for a new mattress to improve your sleep...
Best Mattress for Scoliosis – 5 Top-Rated Options for Sufferers
Hey Slumber reviews the 5 best-selling mattresses for those who suffer from scoliosis. Plus, what to look for in a mattress and FAQs.
Serta Air Mattress Review – Hey Slumber Review
Are you worried that your guests will be sleeping on the floor when they come to visit you? I have the same feeling since I don't have a guest bedroom...
Best Foldable Mattress – 8 Top Options and their Most Important Features
Folding mattresses are a great option to accommodate friends staying at your place for a few days. Find the best foldable mattress for your needs...
Best Mattress Under 300 – 5 Options for a Comfy Sleep on a Budget
You should not save on a good mattress but you don't have to overspend neither to find the best mattress under 300 dollars. Our top 5 picks meet your budget..