Back pain is an all too common problem for most of us, I included, that I wanted to find a way on how to solve this issue as quickly as possible. Fortunately, I think I found a way to sleep better and that is to get the best mattress topper for back pain.
Are Mattress Toppers Good for Back Pain?
We need sleep in order for our bodies to recuperate from the day’s exertion, but if you are no longer getting a good night’s sleep because of pain radiating from your back and your hips, you need to find a solution to it and fast. Short of spending at least a thousand dollars on a new mattress, a better, and cheaper alternative is to invest in toppers for back pain instead.
Choosing mattress toppers for back may help alleviate back pain especially if you find one that has the right blend of density and support that will cushion your body in all the right places. Most of the time back pain occurs because you have been sleeping on a lumpy mattress as I do, or that the one you got is just way too firm. Placing a mattress topper for back on top of your bed can help ease the pain so you will be able to sleep peacefully.
How to Choose the Best Mattress Topper?
Finding the best mattress topper that you can use for back pain may be a bit challenging as there are dozens of toppers for back to choose from. I was a bit overwhelmed with the number of toppers that are being sold today that I had to step back a little to come up with a way to narrow down my choices. I quickly listed what I wanted for toppers for back pain and so far, these are the factors that I thought will be useful in landing the best topper for back pain.
- Material – Mattress toppers come in a variety of materials, but the best options here are latex and memory foam mattress toppers. A topper that is made from memory foam mattress contours around your body while giving that extra cushioning effect that supports pressure points. The same goes true with latex, only this one is firmer and doesn’t sink much like memory foam.
- Thickness – The thickness of the foam topper that you should get should be about 3 inches thick at least, otherwise, you will not be able to enjoy the support that toppers are supposed to provide you with. Although there are thin toppers that are quite dense, they may not give your back the support it needs to prevent pain from occurring.
- Soft/Firm – A firm topper for mattress will work well on mattresses that are starting to sag. The extra firmness means that your body will be lying on a cushion that pushes back to keep your spine in the right position. Using a mattress topper that is too soft may appear comfortable at first, but this leaves your body misaligned.
- Heat Retention – Memory foam mattresses and mattress toppers tend to lock in heat which can become uncomfortable during the warmer months. Although toppers do tend to raise the temperature a bit, depending on the materials used, you can solve this issue by placing a cooling pad on top of it to help regulate your body temperature at night.
- Size – I would recommend that you measure your bed first before you buy mattress toppers because you don’t want to get a topper that is too small or too large for your bed.
Benefits of Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
Most of us think that a mattress is the only thing that we need to get some sleep, but adding one of the best mattress toppers on your bed will take comfort to a whole new level, especially to those who have been suffering from back pain. As a matter of fact, here are a few benefits that I have discovered about toppers so far.
- Minimizes back pain – The most important benefit that you will get from a mattress topper for the back is that it helps alleviate pain in the body, especially in your lower back. This is due to the fact that these toppers are made up of soft gel memory foam that contours around your body while offering pressure relief on all the pressure points. There are different types of toppers for back pain so you should pay attention to the material used.
- Keeps you cool – A memory foam mattress topper is typically infused with gel memory components to help prevent your body from heating up. If you’ve been dealing with night sweats look for a memory foam mattress topper that is infused with cooling gel to keep your body at the right temperature for uninterrupted sleep.
- Delays purchase of a new mattress – A lumpy, old bed may be one of the reasons why your back aches, but if you don’t have the means to buy a new one just yet, a memory foam mattress topper can be a good alternative.
A Review of Mattress Toppers
There are dozens of mattress toppers for back that it’s hard to decide which one to get. That said, I have listed here a few of my favorite mattress toppers that you can include in your own list.
Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This 4 inches thick mattress topper comes with two layers of gel memory foam and quilted fiber fill for comfort and support. The combined 2 inch layer of quilted fiber fill plus a 2 inch layer of gel memory foam produces 4 inches worth of topper bliss that works well with those who have back pains as I do. The gel memory foam helps regulate body temperature so that you will remain cool and comfortable while you sleep. This is because the gel beads draw away the heat so you don’t wake up bathed in sweat at night. Placing this mattress topper on your bed can give your body support no matter what sleeping position you want.
What else can you expect from this memory foam mattress topper? It comes with a washable cover that you can remove and toss in the washing machine for cleaning. Aside from that, this mattress topper is hypoallergenic too which keeps your bed fresh from dust and dirt. The best part? It can help extend the life of your mattress too.
- It has the right thickness for a topper which is adequate for supporting weight to minimize aches and pains.
- It provides comfort and support with its layers of quilted fiber fill and gel foam.
- The gel beads keep the body temperature cool for uninterrupted sleep.
- The mattress topper is also hypoallergenic which prevents allergy attacks from occurring.
- A washable cover keeps the quilted fiber fill and gel memory foam from getting dirty.
- One user noticed that the mattress topper did not retain its form after a few use.
- Off-gassing has been a problem that will take at least a week before it completely dissipates.
- Another reviewer noticed that the materials weren’t exactly 4 inches as claimed.
ExceptionalSheets Rayon from Bamboo Mattress Pad
Another brand that I have added in this list of best mattresses toppers is from ExceptionalSheets. What makes this product stand out is that its plush rayon from bamboo helps create that perfect pillow-like feel on the topper that supports your body while delivering comfort as you sleep. If you are looking for a mattress topper for back that can provide you with comfort and enough support, especially on your pressure points, you will definitely enjoy this one.
Each pad used in this mattress topper is filled with unique fiberfill materials that feel as if you are lying down on authentic goose down minus being poked by the feathers or even triggering an allergy attack. Its softness helps prevent you from generating noise as you move around at night. You can actually pair it with any type of mattress without compromising its firmness. And to top it all, this topper is hypoallergenic which means that you will not have to deal with dust, dirt, and other allergens from irritating your nose.
- It feels like you are lying on a huge pillow because it is soft while giving your body support for a more comfortable sleep.
- This mattress topper is designed to alleviate pressure on key parts of the body such as the neck, shoulders, lower back, and hips.
- The fiberfill materials feel like authentic goose down but without the use of the actual down.
- It works with any type of mattress.
- It doesn’t contain any flame retardant materials or other chemical compounds.
- One user complained that the backing used for the topper was made from cheap material which ripped off easily.
- Another reviewer complained that the topper generated heat that made them break out in a sweat at night.
- One customer noticed that the topper for back did not keep them cool at night even with the claim that the rayon from bamboo cover regulates heat.
ViscoSoft 4 Inch Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is made up of 2.5 inches of memory foam of gel beads and 1.5 inches of fluffy down to create padding that will not only provide you with the ultimate comfort but also help support your body as you lie in deep sleep. This firm mattress topper has been designed to release pressure from our body’s pressure points to minimize the aches and pains that we often wake up to. No more pain in the lower back, hips, neck, and shoulders as this gel memory foam topper will take care of your body’s needs.
Another thing that I noticed about this product is that, unlike other toppers that come with a certain smell, this doesn’t have that strong scent at all. This means that as soon as you receive it, you can unfurl it, and use it for the night without gagging from the smell. The cover pad is removable and washable too which makes it convenient to clean after a few weeks of use.
- This foam mattress topper has been designed to provide pain relief to the body’s pressure points to minimize body aches and pains.
- The combination of fluffy down and memory foam gel beads creates this new mattress topper that offers both comfort and support.
- The memory foam mattress topper helps you stay cool at night with the aid of the gel-infused pads that will help you sleep better at night.
- It doesn’t have that off-gassing smell compared to other toppers.
- Removable cover pad makes it convenient for cleaning and washing.
- It is a bit expensive for a mattress topper which may not be suited for those who are on a budget.
- One user noticed that this mattress topper wasn’t firm enough that they ended up having back aches.
- It wasn’t comfortable as the user felt like she was sinking into her bed.
- Another user experienced night sweats because of it.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
If you prefer a firmer mattress topper that will not make you feel like you are sinking into your bed, the natural latex mattress topper from Pure Green is a good choice. Made from 100% natural latex, this topper is made to last. The Soft Topper is actually the most popular choice by many because it provides a soft surface to lie on while still giving you support for your body so you don’t sink into your bed. If you are experiencing aches and pains on your shoulders, back, and hips because your mattress is lumpy or has already started to sag, this is a good alternative to use.
This natural latex topper is durable meaning that it will last you for years. Plus, expect that this mattress topper for back is also breathable. This is because latex doesn’t store heat, unlike memory foam mattress topper which is why you will not wake up full of sweat. The open-cell foam design allows air to flow throughout the mattress thus preventing heat from building up. You can choose from their 1 inch, 2 inch, or 3 inch toppers.
- If you are looking for firm mattress toppers, this is a good choice because it is made from latex.
- It is made from 100% natural latex which makes it durable.
- It doesn’t absorb or retain heat because of its open-cell design that allows air to flow freely into the topper to keep you cool as you sleep.
- It provides comfort and support without making you sink into your mattress that can cause your body to be misaligned.
- It is designed to release pressure from certain parts of the body like the neck, shoulders, back, and hips.
- It may not be ideal for those who are looking for a softer topper to lie on.
- The firmness doesn’t last long as one user noticed after a few months of use.
- It is a bit expensive for a mattress topper for back.
- The materials used were too soft that they tend to rip when pushed or pulled too quickly.
Snuggle-Pedic Patented Double Layer Mattress Topper
When it comes to the best mattress topper to help with back pain, I considered Snuggle-Pedic’s double layer mattress topper. This reversible foam topper addresses the need for both soft and firm topper which cannot be found in other brands. On one side, you will have this soft memory foam for those who want to sink a bit into their mattress while the other side has an extra layer of memory foam for added density. This unique design helps satisfy the needs of customers who want a soft and firm mattress that will help alleviate the aches and pains.
While some toppers have to be at least 3 inches thick for them to make any difference, the Snuggle-Pedic actually feels firmer because of its 2-layer structure. You won’t be bothered changing positions at night because this makes it easier to do. It doesn’t matter what kind of sleeping position you prefer, this memory foam topper will accommodate you. Don’t worry about memory foam becoming hot while you sleep because this won’t happen here.
- Reversible design satisfies customers who want a soft and firm mattress topper to sleep on.
- A soft memory foam on one side is best suited to those who are lightweight and need that extra softness to cushion their body while the reverse side is perfect for those who need that extra support.
- It doesn’t heat up like other memory foam which means that your sleep will not be interrupted.
- It supports all types of sleeping positions.
- One user noticed that the layers tend to fall apart after a while.
- A reviewer was disappointed that the product wasn’t durable given the expensive price they have paid for it.
- Another user wasn’t satisfied with the firmness offered by the product and that they had to deal with back pain again.
- It takes a while before the smell disappears.
Best Price Mattress 4″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
For those who want a thicker mattress topper, this 4 inch memory foam mattress topper is a great choice. To start, it has a 1.5 inch layer of memory foam and a 2.5 inches thick high-density foam for its base to prevent you from sinking too much into your bottom mattress. It has a motion isolation feature that lets you move around freely without disturbing your partner or child sleeping beside you. This is a good option to consider if you are not yet ready to buy a new mattress but would like to have a way to minimize the constant aches and pains you endure every morning.
The upper layer of memory foam follows the contour of your body as you lie on top of it which gives you that feeling of being hugged to sleep. Memory foam is known for providing support to key points in the body so you won’t be bothered by numbness or tightness in your joints. Another plus to this topper for back pain is that the upper layer is infused with green tea extract that helps you feel calm and relaxed as you lie in bed. To wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, you need to have quality sleep not longer hours.
- Its 4-inch memory foam topper works well with any sleeping position you have in mind as it gives adequate bounce to support your body.
- It comes with a motion isolation feature that separates your side of the bed from the other to prevent interrupted sleep when you move around.
- The upper memory foam contours around the body thus providing extra comfort and support, especially on pressure points.
- It is infused with green tea extract that helps you feel calm and relaxed as you sleep at night.
- Reduces chronic body aches and pain because of its ability to provide pressure relief.
- A user wrote that the smell coming from the topper was too strong and it doesn’t disappear entirely.
- A reviewer said that after a few weeks of use, the side they were sleeping on started to flatten out.
- It doesn’t offer much support, especially to the lower back.
- It didn’t expand to 4 inches which were the description for this topper.
Red Nomad Gel Memory Foam Mattress
This memory foam topper is made from viscoelastic, gel-infused material that guarantees a relaxing sleep at night. It lets you sink into the mattress at the right depth while getting support to prevent pain radiating from pressure point on your body. The 2 inch mattress topper has a pressure relief feature that we need to get a restful sleep at night. You don’t have to worry about waking up drenched in sweat, because this viscoelastic material has been infused with gel that directs the flow of the heat to create a cool and comfortable topper to lie on. Another plus to this topper is that the memory gel absorbs the pressure coming from your body so you won’t end up having pains in the morning.
Since the memory foam molds into your body, you will notice that your weight is evenly distributed throughout the topper. Even when you change your position, your partner will not be woken up and vice versa. I like this feature because I am a light sleeper and any movement tends to make me lie awake at night. This 2 inches worth of topper for back pain is certified by certi-PUR which means that the materials used here have passed their regulations. And lastly, this topper for back pain has is an inch shorter on the sides so that you can easily cover it with a fitted sheet for added protection.
- The viscoelastic material follows the contours of your body for added support as you sink in a comfortable manner into the topper.
- It provides pressure relief for the body to minimize aches and pains that are often associated with a too firm or too soft mattress.
- The gel-infused material helps regulate body temperature so you won’t feel hot at night.
- It is reasonably priced for the materials used for it.
- It also comes with a motion isolation feature that will not disrupt your slumber no matter how you or your partner move at night.
- One user did not find the mattress topper to be firm enough for her needs that she kept sinking into the topper.
- Another reviewer did not like how the memory foam quickly bounces back to its original shape after shifting your weight way too quickly.
- Another user complained that the mattress topper comes with a chemical smell that takes a while before it disappears.
- A customer wasn’t able to sleep well because the memory foam doesn’t follow the contours of her body which made her miss some hours of sleep.
In my quest for the best mattress topper to help alleviate back pain, I had come across several which I thought should be mentioned here. The question now is, which is the best mattress topper for back pain among these? If you are going to ask me, I would say that it is the one from Sleep Innovations. This 4 inch thick topper is made from memory foam and fiber fill that delivers superior comfort and support that enhances sleep. I like that it does give me that sinking feeling into the topper but with the added bounce to it that ensures that my body is aligned correctly.
I didn’t have any problem sleeping on top of it because the gel infusion drew the heat from the mattress and away that kept my body temperature regulated. The size is perfect for a queen-sized bed and it does come with pressure relief features. Just place this on top of your mattress and enjoy better sleep afterward.
Mattress toppers are great alternatives to those who want to improve the quality of their sleep without spending more buying a new bed. For sure, with the right topper, you will be able to sleep comfortably and peacefully because you will not be bothered by the usual aches and pains since your body has plenty of support and comfort coming from your new topper.
Best Twin Mattress – 5 Top-Rated Options You Can Buy Online
Hey Slumber lists 5 top-rated twin mattresses you can buy online. Plus, what to look for when looking to buy a twin mattress for guests or kids.
Best Mattress for Platform Bed | 7 Top Options
We are reviewing 7 top options for the best mattress for your platform bed. Everything you need to know to pick the best one for you...
6 of the Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers
Finding the best mattress toppers for side sleepers has never been easier with this buying guide and our recommended product list analysing hundreds of reviews
Inofia Mattress Review | Best Features & Benefits
Learn everything about the Inofia Hybrid Mattress and a few alternatives you to consider if you are looking for a new mattress to improve your sleep...
Best Mattress for Scoliosis – 5 Top-Rated Options for Sufferers
Hey Slumber reviews the 5 best-selling mattresses for those who suffer from scoliosis. Plus, what to look for in a mattress and FAQs.
5 of the Best Waterproof Mattress Protector for Bedwetting
Parents know this too well. Young children are prone to bedwetting - no matter where they sleep. These mattress protectors help parents to keep their own...