There are several reasons why hip pain occurs, such as sleeping on your side, your mattress is lumpy, or because of a health condition. I find that investing in the best mattress topper for hip pain can help reduce the discomfort while at the same time, improving one’s sleep.
Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain – 6 Products Reviewed
Sleep can be disrupted when hip pain strikes, and since this became a problem for me, I thought it would be a good idea to research on the best mattresses toppers that will help solve the issue. Based on my searches, I have found several which I think are worth checking out.
ViscoSoft 3 Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
For the best mattress toppers, this 3 inch memory foam mattress topper delivers plushness that follows the contours of your body as you sleep. It has medium firmness giving you that soft almost weightless feeling when you lie on it. What’s great about this memory foam topper is that it is ideal for all sleeping positions. It eliminates motion transfer which means that if you or your partner moves, you will not be disturbed in your sleep. Made from high-quality memory foam, this mattress topper is not only soft but also provides support to your pressure points for pain relief.
Another reason why I suggest that you get this for your hip problem is that it helps you sleep cool. Traditional memory foam locks in heat which can leave you sweating at night. This one has gel infused foam in it that keeps the temperature at a normal rate.
- Its thickness measures at 3 inches which is enough to give your body the support it needs.
- Works well with different sleeping positions.
- Gel infused memory foam helps you sleep cool at night as it disperses heat coming from your body.
- Supports pressure points to alleviate pressure on them while you sleep.
- One user found the topper to be too firm that she ended up with more body pains.
- Another reviewer found that she had to reposition the bed every morning as the straps don’t hold onto the mattress very well.
- A customer complained that the memory foam caused her to wake up in a sweat.
Linenspa 2 Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Another memory foam mattress topper that I think will help with hip pain is the one from Linenspa. At 2 inches, you can experience plenty of comfort and support that not only provides relief to your pressure points, but also help keep your spine aligned as well. The foam has been infused with gel to help distribute the heat coming from your body so you will not be sleeping hot at night. Its open-cell memory foam design allows air to circulate which adds to the overall experience of resting on this topper.
What else can you expect from this topper made from memory foam? It has been certipur-US certified meaning that all materials used here are of high-quality and no chemical components present. It is also hypoallergenic which is a plus to those who are suffering from allergies. Give it at least 2 days for the topper to lose its smell.
- This 2 inches thick of mattress topper is appropriate for different kinds of mattresses.
- Memory foam is infused with gel for a more comfortable sleep.
- Alleviates pressure from your back, hips, neck, and shoulders as the foam follows the contours of your body while remaining firm for added support.
- The open-cell memory foam design allows air to circulate which also helps disperse trapped heat.
- Several customers reported that they slept hot with this topper.
- One reviewer said that it was too firm even though it has that sinking feeling to it.
- Another user did not like how she sank into the mattress topper that made it difficult to switch sleeping positions.
ExceptionalSheets Queen Mattress Pad
If your hip pain is caused by an old mattress, placing this mattress topper for hip can help ease the pressure on your body, especially the pressure points. It has a plush rayon made from bamboo cover that is then filled with hypoallergenic down alternative to creating that soft and comfortable feeling minus being poked by the feathers. If you are looking for a soft topper to balance the firm mattress that you have, this is a good option to consider. The Revoloft filling is a great substitute for real goose down as it gives you the feeling of floating in a sea of clouds. It is hypoallergenic too so no need to worry about any allergies breaking out.
Another thing that you will enjoy with this queen mattress pad is that it prevents you from feeling hot at night. This means that your body’s temperature is well regulated because of the materials used for this topper. It is breathable, it is comfortable, plus it is affordable too which makes it an interesting choice if you are looking for a way to solve your hip pain at night.
- Fits queen-sized beds easily with its fitted cover that stretches and holds well.
- Features Revoloft which is a better alternative to authentic goose down fillings minus the feeling of being poked and scratched.
- It prevents you from sleeping hot at night because of its design where air is allowed to circulate in the topper.
- The hypoallergenic materials used ensures that your allergies will not strike in the dead of the night.
- One user complained that the backing for this topper was cheap as it tends to break apart easily.
- Another reviewer noticed that the foam mattress topper was still hot to lie on.
- A customer had to deal with ripped covers after washing their topper.
Lucid 4 Inch Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Queen
A mattress topper is the best solution for sleeping better at night if you are experiencing hip pain or you just want to get that extra comfort while you’re sleeping. What made me choose this product for the best mattress topper is the fact that it is infused with bamboo charcoal which helps wick away moisture, removes odors, and helps regulate your body temperature too. Its contouring memory foam removes pressure from your body’s pressure points for you to rest better at night. The design of this topper promotes proper ventilation to prevent heat from becoming trapped in it that may cause you to toss and turn at night because of the heat.
Being 4 inches thick, this topper gives your body the right sink to it that releases pressure on your shoulders, back, and hips even. Your body will remain aligned all throughout the night no matter what position you prefer.
- 4 inches thick topper provides enough sink to the body to ease hip pain and other aches too.
- Bamboo charcoal infused memory foam removes moisture and smell while helping you stay cool at night.
- Contouring capabilities help reduce hip pain because of the support that it gives your body.
- Well ventilated design allows air to pass through thus helping with dispersing heat.
- One user noticed that her body made large dents on the foam that made it tough for her to move around at night.
- Another reviewer complained that it was still to lie on at night.
- A customer did not like how she sank too much into the topper which caused her hip to flare up.
Zinus Night Therapy Memory Foam
What other mattress toppers can I recommend? This night therapy memory foam mattress topper is worth checking out as well as its 4 inches thickness should be adequate enough to help with your hip pain. It is made from 0.5 inches of fiber quilted cover at the top, 2 inches worth of memory foam in the middle, and 1.5 inches of pressure-relieving comfort foam at the bottom. These layers are geared to help address the pain in your body from your neck to your shoulders to your back, all the way to your hips too.
This memory foam mattress topper for hip has been certified by certiPUR-US which means that all materials used here are of high quality and that there are no chemical components to it. It is durable and can perform well regardless of what mattress you are using.
- It is 4 inches thick which gives your body more room to sink comfortably no matter what sleeping position you are used to.
- The combination of memory foam and pressure-relieving comfort foam ensures that your hip pain will not bother you so much at night.
- Side sleepers will enjoy the softness of this topper as it provides pressure relief on the body.
- It is a bit pricey when you opt for the bigger sized ones.
- One user complained about the chemical smell that did not go away after two days.
- The mattress topper did not rise to its full 4 inches which were disappointing, to say the least.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
If you are looking for a firm topper for mattress, I would suggest that you get this one for your bed. Made from 100% all-natural latex, this mattress topper for hip will contour to your body’s shape, without making you sink too much into your mattress underneath. Compared to memory foam mattress toppers, this one offers comfort and support without that sinking feeling. You can move around without any difficulty with this topper for hip pain.
Another reason why I decided to add this product here in my list of best mattress toppers is because of its durability. Natural latex is sturdy which means that you can expect this one to last you for quite a while. Additionally, this topper for hip pain is also breathable which is a plus in my book as I am quite familiar with how memory foam tends to trap heat in it. The open-cell design allows air to pass through and circulate from within thus dispersing heat accordingly. You won’t be dealing with night sweats anymore which is a huge relief, especially during the summer.
- Made from all-natural latex that offers comfort and support at the same time.
- Open-cell design makes this topper breathable thus reducing sleeping hot at night.
- Contours around your body without making you sink deep.
- Addresses hip pain by providing pressure relief from strategic points on the body.
- One user felt that the latex topper is too firm to lie on thus preventing her from resting well.
- A reviewer complained that he still slept hot with this topper.
- This is not ideal for those who rest on their side as it is too firm.
How do I Stop My Hip from Hurting when I Sleep?
Hip pain can be triggered because you are sleeping on a mattress that is either too soft or too firm, or you have a medical condition such as arthritis and bursitis, or you are currently pregnant. When pain in the hips radiates at night, it can affect your sleep. That said, there are several ways to address this issue, with some of them I have tried for myself so that you will be able to sleep peacefully at night.
- Change your sleeping position – If the current sleep position you are in is causing pain in your hip, switch to another position until you find one that causes less pain.
- Place a pillow between your knees – Another way to alleviate hip pain while you sleep is by placing a pillow between your knees. This helps relieve the pressure on your hips when you lie down at night. You can add more until you find a comfortable position that can reduce the pain coming from your hip.
- Position a wedge-shaped pillow under the hip – A wedge-shaped pillow or a folded blanket placed under the hip can help deliver some pressure relief so you will be able to sleep well.
- Invest in a new mattress – If you are diagnosed with bursitis, you will need to look for a mattress that is not too firm to prevent the inflammation from worsening. Getting a new one to replace your old mattress is a great way to solve the problem.
- Get a mattress topper – Since buying a mattress can cost some money, why not get a mattress topper instead? Mattress toppers are placed on top of a mattress to help provide an additional cushioning effect that can minimize the pain coming from your hip.
How to Choose the Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain?
Which mattress topper is best for hip pain? This is a great question especially when there are different types of topper for hip pain available in the market. Since you are in the lookout for mattress toppers that can help you deal with the pain in your hip, I think it’s a good idea that you consider these factors when shopping for one since it will help narrow down your choices.
- Mattress Condition – The current condition of your mattress should be a factor when you are looking for a topper for hip. If your mattress has coils, it will become firm in the long run, while a foam mattress will lose its resilience. You need to find the right balance between your mattress and the topper to get some relief from the pain from your hip.
- Sleep Position – Most of us tend to sleep on our sides which can also be the reason why our hip tends to ache in the morning. If you are a side sleeper like me, look for a mattress topper for hip that is suitable for this sleeping position.
- Your Weight – If you are carrying more weight, this can also be a reason for hip pain to occur especially if there is not enough support coming from your mattress. To get the right topper for hip pain caused by your weight, look for one that is firm to help keep your hip properly aligned. A thicker mattress topper will help too as it will not cause your body to sag into the mattress. On the other hand, a softer topper may be a good option if you have an average weight.
- Added Features – The best mattress topper should do more than just alleviate hip pain, but it should also be able to give you a comfortable sleep. That said, you should also consider what other features are included in the topper such as responsiveness, durability, and cooling effect. How responsive the topper is can help you move better at night especially when you are suffering from hip pain. As for durability, you will want a mattress pad that can withstand wear and tear. Some mattress toppers can generate more heat that is why checking the cooling effect feature is recommended.
- Research the Product – It is best that you do your research too on mattress toppers before you buy one. Since toppers don’t usually come with a sleep trial policy, reading reviews about them from those who were able to try them out can help. Talk to family and friends who have this mattress accessory so you will get first-hand knowledge of whether it worked for them or not.
In this list of mattress toppers, the one I think is the best option to consider is the ViscoSoft 3 Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper. The 3 inches thickness provides adequate support to the body no matter what your position is. It has the right give plus it follows your body’s shape thus giving you that cradling sensation. It eases the pressure from the hips which prevent flare ups.
The foam is infused with gel which helps regulate your temperature so your rest will not be bothered by constantly tossing and turning. It is also affordable which is a plus. From these mattress toppers, I definitely recommend ViscoSoft to help alleviate hip pain while promoting a good night’s rest. For sure, you will be dreaming soundly and waking up feeling refreshed without any aches and pains to worry about.
Other Recommended Products
5 of the Best Wool Mattress Toppers – Expert Reviews & Buying Guide
Mattress toppers make beds comfy. But the best wool mattress topper will make your bed cozy, especially in cold winter nights. Everything you need to know...
6 of the Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers
Finding the best mattress toppers for side sleepers has never been easier with this buying guide and our recommended product list analysing hundreds of reviews