I used to love sleeping on thick pillows, but lately, I find myself having a creak in the neck in the morning. I needed to figure out how to solve this which is why I am searching for the best thin pillow to see if it can help me with my problem.
What Type of Sleepers Would Be Suited to Thin Pillows?
Most of us assume that the best pillow to sleep on should be thick and fluffy like the ones that you will find in five-star hotels. But I was surprised to find that this isn’t always so. There is no specific pillow that will work with everyone because we have different preferences. The main goal is to find one that helps you get the best sleep so you will wake up feeling refreshed.
A thin pillow is best described to be lower than 3 inches in height or loft. A medium-thick pillow has a loft ranging from 3 to 5 inches, while the high loft measures more than 6 inches.
But are thin pillows better? This depends mostly on your sleeping position.
- Side Sleeper – Side sleepers should go for a medium to high loft type of pillows because there is a space between the side of the head and shoulder that should be filled. This will help minimize neck pains the following day.
- Back Sleeper – A medium loft pillow is recommended for back sleepers as too high a pillow can cause strain on the head and neck.
- Stomach Sleeper – Stomach sleepers should get a thin pillow to support their head while they sleep.
A Guide for Buying a Thin Pillow
If you are wondering what pillows are the best, this will depend on your preferences. Some are happy to use thick pillows while others prefer one that doesn’t put their head and neck in unnatural angles. That said, for those who are interested in getting a thin pillow, you might be wondering if it is right for you. Well, here are a few points to consider.
- Sleep Position – For those who love to sleep on their back or on their stomach, going for a thin pillow is a logical choice as it helps keep your neck and spine properly aligned. On the other hand, if you are a side sleeper or a combination sleeper, you need to consider your choice carefully. When you sleep on your side, the low loft of the thin pillow may put your spine out of alignment which can be uncomfortable.
- Loft – Which pillow is the best, you say? If you are not familiar with the term loft, it will be difficult for you to spot the right type of pillow to use for you. Loft is an indication of the height of the pillow. Usually, a thin pillow is below 3 inches, while the medium one is between 3 to 5 inches. A thick pillow typically has more than 6 inches of loft.
- Body Warmth – Ask yourself if you sleep warm or hot at night before you buy pillows because this will help you decide what type of fabric you will want your pillow to have. Memory foam pillow tends to sleep hot so this is not advisable for those who experience night sweats. There are those that will claim that their gel infused memory foam pillow will help cool you down, but you might want to test it out first before making any final purchase.
Benefits of Sleeping on a Thin Pillow
We all need a good night’s rest at the end of the day to help us recuperate, but without the right pillow to cradle our head, we might as well stay up all night because of the discomfort that we experience. For those who sleep on their stomach or on their back, getting a thin pillow may offer several benefits to you such as:
- Head and neck support. Lying on your stomach can put your head and neck in unnatural angles that can be made worse when sleeping on a thick pillow. Switching to a thinner one, on the other hand, keeps your neck in the right angle thus preventing neck pains in the morning.
- Maintain spine alignment. Another benefit of using one of the best thin pillows in the market today is the fact that it keeps your spine aligned for a more restful sleep.
- Keeps your head in one position. The problem with thick pillows is that your head tends to roll from one side to the other which can put unnecessary strain on your head. A thin pillow may help keep your head stable and the rest of your body aligned for a more comfortable sleep.
- Recharge your body. What else can you get from sleeping on a low profile pillow? Since there is minimal tossing and turning at night and that your head remains stable and your neck aligned, your sleep will certainly improve which can make you feel more refreshed the following day.
Best Thin Pillows to Invest On
What are the best pillows to purchase for back sleepers and stomach sleepers? This was one of the questions that I asked before while searching for a flat pillow to use at night. So far, these are the options that I came up with if you are looking for a thin pillow to use.
Bluewave Bedding Ultra Slim Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Which best pillow should you get for your own use? This ultra slim gel memory foam pillow seems like a good choice as it has a loft measuring between 2.5 inches to 2.7 inches which is ideal for stomach and back sleepers. It has a thin and flat design that helps reduce snoring while minimizing any pain coming from your neck and shoulders. Another feature worth noting here is that it is gel infused which offers a cooling technology that reduces the warmth that you feel at night.
If you take a look at the pillow itself, you will find that there are holes placed strategically to help disperse the heat by allowing more air to pass through. Also, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the pillow is made from certipur-US memory foam where there are no additives or harsh chemicals to worry about. I like that it has a dual design where the bottom is flat and the top is slightly sloping. This is perfect for those who do not wish to keep on turning their pillow.
- 2.5 inches to 2.75 inches thick fit back and stomach sleepers well.
- Gel infused memory foam helps keep the temperature in check to prevent sleeping hot at night.
- The ergonomic design keeps the pillow steady while offering more cushion to your neck and spine.
- The holes incorporated into the pillow allow more air to circulate which keeps you cool at night.
- No additives or harsh chemicals included.
- A user noted that the memory foam pillow was too hard to sleep on.
- Another one complained that the flat pillow prevented them from using the other side.
- Others have reported that it wasn’t ultra slim at all and not suitable for stomach sleepers.
Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
Stomach sleepers who are looking for the best thin pillow may want to try out the Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper as it has a loft of 2.5 inches which is perfect for those who want to sleep flat. The ergonomically designed edges make this work both for stomach sleepers and back sleepers easily. You will find that the thin and flat design of this ultra slim sleeper provides adequate support to your spine as you sleep. It can also help lessen your snoring and even minimize the pain on the neck and shoulders since your entire body is properly aligned.
You can rely on Elite Rest to use high-quality memory foam that is designed to follow the contour of your head and neck and keep them in a stable position. The foam material is breathable which is a plus and it is also designed to be hypoallergenic so you can sleep safely on it even when you have allergies. It comes with a 100 cotton washable cover for easy maintenance. I have to say that the half pillow design is a great idea as it prevents the pillow from moving too much.
- 2.5 inches thick helps keep your neck and spine aligned as you sleep.
- Its half pillow design prevents it from moving too much while offering a soft top side that will make you feel that your head is cradled by it.
- Breathable memory foam is also hypoallergenic.
- Can lessen snoring and other sleep issues.
- Several users weren’t too happy with the price tag which is quite high for a thin pillow.
- Another user remarked that it was too thin because lying on it can make you feel that you are hitting the bottom of the pillow.
- One user complained that it did not come in a standard size.
- Another remarked that it did not offer comfort for those who sleep on their stomach.
Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Bed Pillow
Another example of the best thin pillow that I would recommend is from Xtreme Comforts. This memory foam bed pillow is a combination of shredded memory foam plus Kool-Flow bamboo cover that lets you sleep cool at night. Whatever sleeping position you prefer, whether you are a stomach or back sleeper, you will enjoy this memory foam pillow as it contours to your head and neck for added support. You will find that it is better to get a good night’s sleep with this product.
Using this deluxe memory foam ensures that your neck and spine are aligned for better blood flow while reducing pressure points at the same time. And since your body is properly aligned, you will feel more relaxed and well rested too. It does come with proper ventilation unlike other types of memory foam out there. Aside from the cover being machine washable, it is also good for protecting against dust mites and other particles that may cause an allergy attack to occur while you are in bed. And if you are worried that you will end up with just a pillow that is way too flat after repeated use, you will be happy to know that it isn’t the case here.
- Shredded memory foam filling lets you adjust your pillow as you see fit.
- Kool-Flow bamboo cover is breathable and keeps the temperature down.
- Keeps the spine and neck aligned for stomach sleepers.
- Can prevent dust mites and other allergens from penetrating your pillow so you will sleep peacefully at night.
- One user complained that lumps started to form after a few weeks of use.
- Another user reported that the loft was 6 inches instead of 2.5 inches.
- The cooling technology doesn’t last long.
Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
For those who consider them as a combination sleeper where you change from one sleeping position to the next, the Sleep Restoration gel pillow is the right one for you. One of its key features is its super plush gel fiber that provides maximum comfort no matter what your sleep position is. It has a 100 cotton cover which makes it breathable too, so there will be no worries about sleeping hot. It doesn’t shift under you which means that your head will remain in one position for a steady slumber.
On top of that, this machine washable pillow is mold and mildew resistant, plus it can prevent any allergens, dust mites, and bed bugs from making a home on your pillow. It is also stain and fade resistant which means that you can use it for a long time without losing its overall look.
- Ideal for all kinds of sleepers.
- 100 cotton cover makes it more breathable and comfortable to sleep on.
- Non-shift construction ensures that your head doesn’t move too much.
- It is mold and mildew resistant.
- It doesn’t work well for side sleepers as it sinks too much.
- The cooling feature doesn’t work after repeated use.
- A user complained that it was too soft to use.
Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow
If you are a stomach sleeper who wants to invest in the best thin pillow, then this product from Belly Sleep is a great choice. Right from the start, you will see that this pillow was designed for a stomach sleeper already as it is thin, flat, and has the right curves to help support the head and neck. If you have been experiencing aches and pains in your body because of a poor sleeping position caused by the wrong pillow, you will be glad to know that these things will no longer bother you. This is due to the fact that this gel infused memory foam thin pillow is designed to keep your body aligned as you sleep on your stomach. The polyurethane foam follows the contour of your head as well as your neck so that they will remain supported throughout the night.
The bamboo-polyester cover helps you sleep cool at night while wicking away moisture and sweat. Just make sure that you wash your pillow regularly to maintain its freshness. This is possible because it is machine washable so simply throw it in the washing machine and clean it after a few weeks. You’ll love this pillow because it is soft and firm at the same time giving you the proper support as you sleep on your stomach.
- Its thin, flat design ensures that your spine remains aligned as you sleep.
- Alleviates aches and pains coming from the neck and shoulders.
- Gel infused to help you sleeping cool at night.
- Covers are machine washable for easy maintenance.
- A stomach sleeper complained that her neck felt painful after a few weeks of use.
- The pillow was too firm for another user.
- The price tag is a point of contention for many
When it comes to thin pillows, my bet would be on Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow. I like the fact that it is designed specifically for those who love to sleep on their back. The polyurethane foam contours easily on your head and neck and since it has a washable cover made from bamboo, you will find it easier to maintain as well. Stomach sleeping has never been this easy and the fact that this pillow can help address the aches and pains common in using the wrong pillow, you got me sold already.
Best Bamboo Pillows – Top Picks for an Ultra-Comfortable Sleep
Learn more about the best bamboo pillows and why bamboo is good choice for comfortable sleep. What makes this type of pillow a worthy option for that…
WonderSleep Pillow Review | Best Features & Benefits
Good sleep begins with a good pillow. But is the Wondersleep Pillow one of them? Find out more about the features and benefits in our product review...
6 of the Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
If you are stomach sleeper and suffer from the classic head, neck or shoulder pain, then this article is for you. The best pillows for stomach sleepers...
Best Pillow for Headaches – 5 Top-Rated Options
Waking up with a headache might be caused by your pillow. We compare 5 top options to help you chose the best pillow for headaches to improve your sleep...
Indulgence Pillow Review – Isotonic Pillows Reviewed
Hey Slumber reviews the Isotonic Indulgence Pillow. We cover what to look for when buying a pillow for side sleepers. Plus, the best features and benefits.
Panda Life Pillow Review – Everything You Need to Know Before Buying
If you consider buying a bamboo pillow, the Panda Life Pillow is definitely one to consider for you. We tell you why and what to consider before buying...