Children are prone to bedwetting when they are at a young age because they don’t have control over their bladders just yet. It would be a comfort for parents to have the best waterproof mattress protector on their mattresses to prevent the wetness from seeping into the mattress itself while easing the worry on their young ones that bedwetting is a normal phase that they will grow out of.
How to Protect Mattress from Bedwetting
Bedwetting is a common occurrence in toddlers, but adults can also experience it too, especially because of a medical condition. Unfortunately, when they urinate, the mattress gets soaked easily which means having to bring out the bed in the sun to dry it and to remove the smell. There are a few tricks that you can use to protect your mattress from getting peed on and these are:
- Thicker mattress pad – A thick mattress pad, or even bed sheet, may help absorb the urine even before it reaches the mattress underneath, plus the bed sheet is machine washable too, which comes in handy. You will need to decide how thick the pad you are going to get is depending on who will be using it.
- Potty training – It would help if you teach your little one how to potty train early on to minimize mishaps while in bed.
- Disposable underpads – This is another solution to protect your bed against being urinated on as this type of pad is typically absorbent. This mattress protector is often used in hospitals but can be used at home too, to help protect your investment. It only covers the lower body leaving the top free. The only downside to this is that if the person moves away from where the pad is placed, the mattress will be exposed once more.
- Bathroom before bedtime – Some kids need to be taught to urinate first before heading to bed to minimize the chances of bedwetting to occur.
- Mattress protector – As the name suggests, this one is designed to block any liquids from reaching the mattress. It is a type of fitted sheet that acts as a mattress encasement to help prolong the life of the mattress by minimizing exposure to urine and sweat.
What are the Benefits of Using a Mattress Protector?
Is it really necessary to purchase a mattress protector? This depends on your preferences and whether you want to extend the life span of your mattress. This mattress cover does come with several benefits or advantages such as:
- Protects against stains – One of the biggest advantages that you can get out of mattress protectors is that they can stop any stains from ruining your mattress. If your little one is currently bedwetting, then having a mattress protector on their bed can help stop the urine from being absorbed by the mattress underneath. And since this type of cover for mattress is machine washable, you can simply toss it into your washing machine for easy cleaning.
- Stops dust mites and bed bugs – Bed bugs are these nasty, tiny creatures that suck the blood from you while you sleep at night, while dust mites are these dust particles that can trigger an allergy attack. Both of them can disrupt your sleep which is easily remedied by investing in the best mattress protector.
- Adds comfort – Depending on the type of mattress protector that you are going to get, its layered design can also help add to the comfort that you get when lying in bed. Since the mattress protector works like a fitted sheet, it can be easily stretched throughout the bed for maximum comfort and convenience.
- Prevent allergy attacks – Dust mites, animal dander, and even pollen from your clothes can get transferred into the bed which can be dangerous to anyone who has allergies. Mattress protectors can stop them from accumulating on the surface to prevent allergy attacks.
- Machine washable – Another benefit that you will get from a mattress protector is that it is easy to maintain. You can either toss it in your washing machine or wash it manually then hang to dry. I find this quite convenient since I don’t have to keep buying disposable pads.
- Prolong mattress life – Another advantage that I think that mattress protectors have is that they can help preserve and prolong the life of your mattress. After all, buying a bed is not exactly cheap. Having it urinated on repeatedly will not only cause stains to appear, but you will also have to deal with the smell of urine too, especially if you weren’t able to catch it all in time.
With these advantages in mind, I think that spending on one isn’t such a bad idea, given that it will help keep your mattress clean while protecting it against liquid spills, bed bugs, and dust mites too.
5 of the Best Waterproof Mattress Protectors
I have been searching for covers for mattress in the hopes that I would be able to protect my little one’s bed from getting urinated on constantly. I did try the tips above myself and we are in the first stages of potty training, but even with this technique, I still believe that it is worth investing in the best waterproof mattress protector while my kid is still bedwetting at night. I wasn’t disappointed in my search. As a matter of fact, I found these products which I think are the best in the market.
LUNA Queen Size Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector
The first on my list of best waterproof mattress protector is from LUNA. What made this stand out for me is that it uses sleep technology to ensure that this fitted sheet will not only protect your bed from your bedwetting child, but also from other impurities like dust mites, bed bugs, pet dander, and other possible allergens. This mattress cover traps everything on the surface so that, after you have washed and dried it, your cover will be from these particles so you will be able to sleep well at night.
Among its key features are that it is made from cotton terry fabric which is known to add comfort, absorbency, and coolness. It also prevents water from reaching the mattress while allowing air to pass through to keep the bed dry. Also, this mattress protector is designed in such a way that it doesn’t affect the current feel of the bed underneath. There are no harsh chemicals used for this waterproof cover of mattress so if you are worried that you are exposed to chemicals like phthalates and PVC, don’t be. Your mattress cover will remain breathable even at night so no worries about waking up bathed in sweat.
- Protects against dust mites, bed bugs, urine, and other stains.
- Machine washable for convenient cleaning.
- Made from cotton terry fabric that is breathable, absorbent, and comfortable at the same time.
- No harsh chemicals that can make you sleep hot.
- Does not alter the feel of the mattress underneath.
- One user complained that the backing of the mattress protector wasn’t disclosed and that it easily creases when some lies on the bed.
- Another user remarked that the material wasn’t exactly breathable as they woke up in sweats.
- Several reviewers found the cover to be too thin.
SafeRest Queen Size Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector
Another option that I would recommend for the best waterproof mattress protector is from SafeRest. This brand is well-known to offer protection not just against urine, but from allergens, pet dander, sweat, dust, dirt, and even miniscule insects. It is designed to help prevent anyone from suffering from allergy attacks while they sleep. You only need to wash the cover regulalry to remove any buildup of dust mites, bugs, and whatnot, so you may be able to sleep soundly at night.
Just like the previous option, this is also made from cotton terry cloth with membrane back coating so that it will not only be absorbent, but comfortable to sleep on as well. It is said to be noiseless too which is a plus given that you don’t want your little one’s slumber to be affected when you change sleeping positions. This fitted sheet is designed to work with any type of mattress without affecting its feel too. YOu can use it on your memory foam, latex, or even hybrid mattress without any worries. It would be better to wash the cover first, according to the manufacturer. There are no harmful chemicals included during the manufacturing which is a plus.
- Fitted sheet works with all types of mattresses.
- Can absorb any liquids to prevent them from spilling into the bed underneath.
- Made from cotton fabric that is breathable and highly absorbent.
- It is machine washable which is an added convenience.
- Free from harmful chemicals like PVC, Phthalates, and others.
- It doesn’t last that long even with careful maintenance.
- Difficult to wash as it tends to absorb plenty of water making it hard to dry.
- Another user noted that this mattress cover doesn’t work well with memory foam because they slept hot.
SureGuard Queen Size MattressProtector
If your goal is to protect your mattress against bedwetting or any other accidents, then SureGuard’s mattress protector is one of the best options to consider. Made from 100% cotton fabric, this example of waterproof mattress protectors will help prevent spills, stains, insects, and even allergens from getting to your bed. It comes with a 10 year warranty too which is good enough for enjoying this mattress pad for a long time. With this mattress encasement, you don’t have to worry about your dead skin cells being food for the mites, because with regular washing, you will not be bothered by them at all.
Another reason why investing on this mattress pad is that it is thin and lightweight, and will not affect the feel of your bed at all. You can use it on any type of mattress that you have for added convenience which is something that I like about this covering. It is durable, and machine washable, so there will be less hassle on your part. Just wash it after an accident or at least once a month if someone in your house has allergies. You can slip it over your mattress and add another layer of sheet for added protection and comfort and that’s it.
- This waterproof mattress protector can easily absorb any liquid before it even reaches the bed.
- A 10 year warranty gives you the guarantee that it will last a while or having it replaced.
- Beats mites, bugs, and other allergens for a more restful sleep.
- Thin, lightweight, and easy to install on your bed.
- Easy to maintain as it is safe to be cleaned in your washing machine.
- One user found it hot to sleep on.
- It is not completely absorbent as one user discovered after her child wet the bed.
- Another user complained that it did not stay in place.
Priva High Quality Ultra Waterproof Sheet and Mattress Protector
I stumbled across the Priva High Quality ultra waterproof sheet and mattress protector while searching for the best waterproof mattress protector and it caught my eye right from the start. What sets it apart from other mattress protectors is that it is made with four layers of protection that has been heat compressed for maximum absorption. I found that it can easily absorb up to 8 cups of liquid which makes it quite safe for your little one. The combination of poly/rayon material makes it breathable and comfortable to sleep on.
What else is there to love about this waterproof mattress protector is that it comes in various designs, so you can get it for your baby, your child, or for your own use even. It is oversized to fit any type of mattress which is convenient, plus it is machine washable as well. You can get up to 300 washes on this mattress protector which means that it will last you a good while. I like that it is unobtrusive when placed on top of your bed and that it is noiseless too.
- Contains four layers of absorbent materials to prevent liquids from reaching the mattress.
- Can handle up to 8 cups of liquid without making the bed feel damp.
- It is machine washable too for easy cleaning.
- It is breathable because of the quality materials used.
- A user complained about the chemical smell coming from the vinyl backing.
- Another reported that it did not complete its 300 wash cycle.
- Another noted that it wasn’t really that breathable at all especially during hot months.
AllerEase Maximum Allergy and Bed Bug Waterproof Mattress Protector
If you are looking for the best waterproof mattress protector for your newly bought bed,
It is best that you measure your mattress first before buying one so that you can fit it well. Make sure that the seams are aligned with the corners before pushing it from top to bottom. Put your mattress back on the box spring then zip it up to seal the mattress completely and you’re ready to go. The best way to maintain this is to wash it every 2 to 3 months unless spills and wetting occurs. If you sleep hot, you will have to wash it regularly too to remove the smell of sweat and other growth. It comes with 10 year warranty which is the same as others.
- Complete protection from urine, sweat, bugs, and mites.
- Can be cleaned with hot water to remove any buildup of dust particles and smell.
- It prevents allergy attacks from happening.
- It is comfortable to sleep on and noiseless too.
- One user had trouble installing the cover.
- Another customer noticed that the cover was quite thin to begin with so you need to be extra careful when installing it.
- It is not ideal for heavy wetting.
When it comes to the best waterproof mattress protector, I would recommend that you get the SafeRest Queen Size Mattress Protector. It offers complete protection for any possible wetting, and it does keep allergens, mites, bugs, and dander from getting lodged on the crevices of your mattress. As one of the best waterproof mattress protectors, SafeRest is made from cotton fabric making it breathable and comfortable to sleep on. This mattress protector is fully waterproof and it is easy to maintain as well.
If you are searching for mattress protectors waterproof, SafeRest gives you good value for your money. It may be used on different types of mattresses without any difficulty and you will be able to sleep well too since it doesn’t make any noise when you move around.
Best Foldable Mattress – 8 Top Options and their Most Important Features
Folding mattresses are a great option to accommodate friends staying at your place for a few days. Find the best foldable mattress for your needs...
AllerEase Mattress Protector Review | Best Features & Buying Guide
We are reviewing the AllerEase Mattress Protector and its best features. Everything you should now and most importantly - should you buy it or not?
Serta Air Mattress Review – Hey Slumber Review
Are you worried that your guests will be sleeping on the floor when they come to visit you? I have the same feeling since I don't have a guest bedroom...
Best Twin Mattress – 5 Top-Rated Options You Can Buy Online
Hey Slumber lists 5 top-rated twin mattresses you can buy online. Plus, what to look for when looking to buy a twin mattress for guests or kids.
6 of the Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain
There are several reasons why hip pain occurs. Especially side sleeper are often affected. Find the best mattress topper for hip pain to help reduce...
Inofia Mattress Review | Best Features & Benefits
Learn everything about the Inofia Hybrid Mattress and a few alternatives you to consider if you are looking for a new mattress to improve your sleep...