Small spaces can be challenging to design, especially when you will be sticking with traditional beds. But if you want to create more space while still having a bed to sleep on, getting a full-sized cabinet bed may be the best solution for you. How does this type of bedroom furniture work? Let’s find out.
What’s the Difference Between Wall Bed, Loft Bed, and Cabinet Bed?
I had this issue before where the place I rented doesn’t have that much space. I was thinking of cramming my single bed in there or just ditch it and go for a sofa bed instead. However, I came across three more options that seem to offer better solutions and these are the following:
- Wall Bed – This is probably the best replacement for traditional beds which can be folded and pushed against the wall to open more space in your room. When hidden against the wall, it will reveal a cabinet panel, or perhaps a place for a sofa, or other furniture. This is a bit expensive and will require someone knowledgeable to have it set up for you as the cabinet needs to be secured against the wall to prevent it from falling unexpectedly.
- Loft Bed – If your space has a high ceiling but limited surface to walk on, then the loft bed is the best choice. This design makes use of the headspace above you to either put your bed in or your office while space below can be converted into another room or your home office. Loft beds create a more visually interesting space and you can even stylize the stairs as you see fit.
- Cabinet Bed – A cabinet bed, on the other hand, can easily fit into a smaller space easily. When the bed has been folded and hidden, the cabinet appears like a side table or a buffet even depending on the construction. You can even use it as a console cabinet. The downside, however, is that if you require a specialty mattress, this may not work for you as the bed is typically installed already. Still, it does offer a quick way to reveal a mattress for you or your guest to sleep on without too much hassle on your part.
Why Get a Cabinet Bed?
Getting a bed that folds is a great solution to consider if you have limited space to use. The same goes true if you often receive guests, but don’t have enough space to accommodate them sleeping over. You might be thinking whether it is practical to get a bed in a cabinet so here are a few advantages to having it in your home.
- Space Saver – Living in a compact space can limit your usage of furniture, but cabinet beds offer a piece of multifunctional furniture that will not only house your books, gadgets, and whatnot but can also squirrel away your bed too. Additionally, the size of the cabinet bed will not take up as much room as that of traditionally sized beds which means that you will have more room to utilize.
- Ideal for Sleepovers – Not everyone has the means to have a guest room on standby that is why, instead of having to renovate a part of your house just to squeeze in a bed, installing a cabinet bed may be better. This way, you don’t have to remove everything in one section of your home just to create a room, but have the cabinet bed incorporated into the existing room instead.
- Functional Furniture – Since you will be investing in furniture, it is important that it should be functional too. Cabinet beds are functional as they are easy to assemble and set up when needed. Unlike wall beds and loft beds where you will need to secure them in place, the cabinet bed can be moved around as you see fit. There is no need to spend extra on repairing the walls if you decide to shift your bed cabinet as you do with a wall bed which means additional savings for you.
- Great Value – Compared to other types of space-saving beds, the cabinet bed is definitely cheaper because of how it is designed. This means that not only will you be able to save money, but you’ll get more value from it since it is a piece of versatile furniture to have regardless of how big or small your home is.
- Easy to Setup – Like it was mentioned before, cabinet beds are not that difficult to setup which is essential when it comes to getting a new bed in place. Even when pulling the bed from the cabinet and setting up the base won’t be that hard because everything is laid out for you. It will only take you a few minutes to get a comfortable bed to sleep on with the cabinet beds.
Cabinet Beds to Consider
I have been doing some research on cabinet beds lately to see which one stands out. So far, there are tons of options to consider and it was a bit difficult to pinpoint the best. On a good note, I have narrowed it down to these brands, so let’s take a look.
Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Murphy Bed Chest
The first on my list for a cabinet bed that comes in full size is from Atlantic Furniture. The first thing that I loved about this is its space-saving design. This Murphy cabinet is solid and gives the appearance of a chest where a memory foam mattress is stored. What you will get from this Murphy cabinet bed is that the cabinet is easy to assemble since the base is already fixed. In addition to that, it comes with a large storage drawer to put away your things which are a plus to this model. The storage drawer measures 40 1/4″ W x17 1/8″ D. This chest-like cabinet bed comes with satin-finished hardware that adds to its overall look.
What is the mattress like? You will get a CoolSoft 6 inches gel infused memory foam folded mattress with handles for pulling it out from the cabinet. Once fully laid out, you will get a 5 inches support foam with 1 inch CoolSoft memory foam to help you sleep cool at night. The cabinet also comes with 2 charging ports to help you charge your devices while in bed.
- Space saving design makes it easier to set up in any space in your house.
- Easy to assemble cabinet bed with fully assembled base.
- Comes with a storage drawer for storing your personal belongings.
- Gel infused memory foam lets you sleep cool and comfy at night.
- One user remarked that assembly requires someone knowledgeable instead of a beginner.
- Craftsmanship of the furniture wasn’t great.
- Another user commented that the price wasn’t worth the hassle.
Night & Day Furniture Cabinet Bed with Mattress
Another option that you can consider for a cabinet with a full size mattress is from Night & Day Furniture. The dark colored wood cabinet can easily fit into any space with plenty of surface above it to put your TV, books, or other knicknacks to make it look like a regular cabinet. Inside this Murphy cabinet is a queen gel memory foam that is designed to give you maximum comfort as you sleep. The gel fom here reduces the feeling of sleeping hot which means that you will be able to get a good night’s sleep.
At either side of the bed, there will be a socket hidden in the panels which you can prop up to gain access to the sockets. Not only will you be able to charge your device, you also have an extra surface to place your clock, your phone, and even your lamp. It is easy enough to set up which is important for any Murphy beds, plus there is an added storage drawer at the bottom for easy storage of your personal belongings. This is definitely cheaper than purchasing a wall bed and it can be moved around as you see fit.
- Cabinet is made from hardwood which guarantees durability.
- It comes with a queen-sized gel memory foam mattress for added comfort.
- Gel infused mattress helps eliminate the feeling of sleeping hot.
- Sockets are also installed to help you charge your devices while in bed.
- One user complained that it wasn’t easy to get inside the house much less assemble on their own.
- The mattress was a bit firm for one user.
Emurphybed Daily Delight Murphy Cabinet Chest Bed
This Murphy cabinet bed is quite a treat as its overall look can easily add warmth to any space. Made from solid wood for durability, this Murphy bed is a great addition to any home. When it is closed, it measures 65 1/2″ L x 30 3/8″ w x 40 6/8″ H. When opened, it measures 65 1/2″ L x 80 18″ W x 40 6/8″ H. There is a 12 inches space from the floor to the bottom of the mattress which gives plenty of clearance for the drawers underneath. What you’ll love about this example of Murphy beds is that it comes with an electrical cord for you to plug your TV in. This fully functional Murphy cabinet bed is definitely worth checking out if you are in need of an extra full queen bed at your disposal.
Another thing that you will love about this Murphy cabinet bed is that it is easy to assemble. When delivered to your home, it will come in three boxes that can easily pass through any doors. Instructions are inside which are easy enough to follow so you can have your bed cabinet set up and ready for use. The full queen gel infused memory foam promises comfort when you sleep because it helps keep you cool throughout the night. The memory foam mattress easily contours around your body for added support.
- Solid wood cabinet adds warmth to any space in your home.
- The cabinet doesn’t take up much space even when it is opened.
- It sports two drawers underneath for easy storage.
- Sockets lets you plug in your device or your TV even easily.
- One user remarked that the assembly will require more than one person.
- It weighs around 360 pounds which means that the parts will not be easy to lift on your own.
- It is a bit expensive too.
Clover Murphy Cabinet Bed
What other options should you consider for a cabinet bed that is equipped with a full size queen mattress? Clover’s Murphy cabinet bed may just be the one for you. The beautifully stained wooden cabinet is known for its durability which is important since it will be exposed to constant wear and tear with all the pulling and folding that comes with setting up the bed. The mattress comes with a tri fold design for easy storage, but don’t think that this will make your mattress less comfortable. Clover makes use of a memory foam mattress that is infused with gel beads that help you cool down at night. Memory foam has a bad rep already for sleeping hot, but the added infused gel beads are said to help bring the temperature down.
It comes with a single drawer under the bed where you can put extra beddings and other personal items. Your guests can use this large storage drawer to stow their things during a sleep over. There is a socket on the side where you can plug in your accessories or TV even without worrying about moving it when you are using your bed. The design itself is simple and setting up your bed will only take you around 2 minutes or so once you have assembled all the parts. I like their use of solid wood for such a furniture as it has to be sturdy enough to accommodate the weight of the sleeper.
- Stained solid wood cabinet will fit perfectly in any household.
- Tri fold Murphy beds are space savers since the bed can be easily hidden when not in use.
- Gel infused memory foam helps you sleep cool at night since the beads disperse heat coming from your body.
- Large storage drawer lets you store your personal belongings with ease.
- It is a bit pricey for a Murphy cabinet bed.
- The folded mattress may cause unevenness in th body since they are divided into three parts.
When it comes to choosing a cabinet to bed furniture, I would say that the Clover Murphy Bed is a good place to start. Apart from being constructed out of solid wood with beautiful cherry color stain, I like the fact that it isn’t bulky at all. It comes with a memory foam mattress that has been infused with gel beads to help minimize waking up in sweat at night because you are sleeping hot. The bed features a foldable design for easy storage, while one side of the cabinet is equipped with a socket to plug your appliance or device in. It is a bit pricey, but for the great craftsmanship and comfortable bed to sleep on, it is a good investment already.
Best Bed Frame for Overweight Person | 5 Top Options
overweight bodies will require adequate support to protect the spine from becoming misaligned while you sleep. Our list will help you to relax and sleep well...