I used to sleep for only four hours. Nothing worked, not even meditation or melatonin tablets. I figured out that the issue was my bedroom lacked a relaxing atmosphere, amplified by work stress. Worse of all, I was making do with an almost brick-like pillow that did nothing to soothe me into a good night’s sleep. I’d wake up and waste precious minutes turning over the pillow to find a cold spot. Thankfully, restless sleepers can find solace in the Panda Life Pillow–a game-changer for night time.
Things to consider before buying a bamboo pillow
What’s a bamboo pillow?
A bamboo pillow has a case made from bamboo fibers that wick moisture and are soft to the touch. Bamboo fibers are long-lasting. I like it because it’s environmentally-friendly. It grows like weeds and is clustered together in dense patches, which reduces the space needed to cultivate them. You don’t need fertilizer or pesticides to tend to bamboo, which makes them safe.
What are the benefits of a bamboo pillow?
- Anti-microbial – Bamboo is naturally anti-microbial. Because you’ll spend lots of time laying your head on your pillow, it’s important that it’s free of harmful pathogens.
- Hypoallergenic – Bamboo is hypoallergenic because it’s processed with fewer chemicals. It also helps ward off dust mites from your pillow.
- Cooling – The natural fibers of bamboo allow more airflow and wick moisture away from the body.
- Adjustable – Because of the memory foam shreds that usually fill a bamboo pillow, the shreds can shift around to adapt to your head, neck, and shoulders.
What are the disadvantages of a bamboo pillow?
The memory foam in bamboo pillows can produce a gas that gives off a chemical odor. This is called off-gassing and it is caused by trapping the material inside a package with no ventilation. These smells usually dissipate quickly when aired out.
Who would be the perfect candidate for a bamboo pillow?
- Those with insomnia or sleep deprivation
- Frequent travelers
- Those who work long hours
- Those with neck issues
- People allergic to dust mites
- Those with respiratory problems
- People who change sleeping positions often
Who is not suited for bamboo pillows?
If you are someone who prefers too soft and big pillows, a bamboo pillow may not be for you. They’re malleable but if you really want super softness in your pillows and are not concerned with support, you can go for a down pillow instead. If you’re very sensitive to smells, it may be risky to buy a bamboo pillow. But you can work around this by trying something with a money-back guarantee.
Can you wash Panda Life pillows?
Yes, the bamboo cover on the Panda Life Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is safe to wash. However, washing the memory foam filling is not advised because it’s difficult to dry them.
How do you soften panda pillows?
To make the Panda Life Pillow softer, you can wash the cover. With every wash, it softens further. You can also fluff it up.
Panda Life Pillow – Everything you need to know
The Panda Life Pillow is a shredded memory foam pillow with a viscose rayon bamboo cover. It promises to be a comfortable and cooling pillow that feels good on the skin. It also claims to relieve pressure, thanks to the high-density foam. It adapts its temperature when you sleep. The Panda Life Pillow achieves this without a cooling gel. The viscose rayon threads keep the pillow soft. It wicks away moisture better than cotton and doesn’t accumulate static. Because of the bamboo material, it supposedly lasts long and can hold up to many rounds of washing. It’s also sustainably produced and an eco-friendly alternative to standard pillows. Let’s see if the pillow holds up to these claims.
- eco-friendly bamboo cover made of rayon fabric
- durable and machine washable cover
- soft and cool
- supportive and plush memory foam shreds
- comes in 3 sizes
- has a 3-year warranty
- no trial period
- low loft is not ideal for side sleepers
- can emit a smell when new
- price point is above average
Features & Benefits
- Eco-friendly – A bamboo-derived rayon fabric makes up 40% of the outer shell of the Panda Life Pillow while polyester makes up the remaining threads. Bamboo is an environmentally-friendly option because it’s sustainably harvested and uses less water. Unlike cotton, it doesn’t require artificial irrigation and doesn’t have to be grown annually. Bamboo grows quickly without pesticides or fertilizers. It’s a good choice if you want to cut down on your environmental footprint.
- Durable – The removable bamboo rayon fabric cover can withstand several launderings without breaking down. In fact, it gets even softer with each wash. You can be assured this won’t rip easily because of the strong fabric.
- Moisture Absorbent – The unique properties of bamboo help the cover wick away moisture that forms on the pillow. Bamboo is naturally anti-microbial which is great for allergy sufferers.
- Soft and Cool – The bamboo slip feels smooth to touch and feels like silk. It’s a breathable fabric that exudes luxury. If you like to pamper yourself, a bamboo pillow is a good idea.
The pillow is made of shredded memory foam that comes from a whole block polyurethane foam. For the uninitiated, memory foam is a wonderful pillow component because it conforms itself to the shape of whatever’s pressing down on it yet somehow springs back to its original shape after use.
Because the memory foam is shredded, it gives support as well as comfort. Unlike a traditional block of memory foam, which tends to get warm as it absorbs the sleeper’s body heat, a shredded foam design allows air to circulate throughout the pillow. Shredded foam prevents hot spots. This keeps cool even after humid nights because of how breathable it is. It regulates temperature well which makes it perfect for hot sleepers.
Don’t expect the plushness of a down feather pillow in a shredded memory foam pillow though. The Panda Life Pillow is medium firm, meaning it’s cushy but not super soft like goose feather pillows. You can sink into the Panda Life Pillow but it will provide you with ample support.
The standard size Panda Life Pillow is 4 inches thick, which can support back and front sleepers well. I think side sleepers will want a pillow with more loft, though. If you change positions multiple times throughout the night, the Panda Life Pillow is adjustable. You can fluff it up to make it suit your sleeping needs.
For relief after a long day, this pillow fits the bill. It eases pressure on the neck and shoulders. People who get migraines a lot will find a lot to love in the Panda Life Pillow.
The Panda Life Shredded Memory Foam Pillow comes in 3 sizes: standard, queen, and king.
Warranty and Trial Period
There’s no free trial for the Panda Life Pillow so you can’t return it in case you don’t like the pillow. It comes with a 3-year warranty period if you encounter any manufacturing defects.
Now for the elephant in the room: the smell. While I don’t find it particularly bad, some users have pointed out that the Panda Life Pillow gives off a strong scent. If you’ve bought a memory foam pillow before, you might be familiar. It’s a chemical odor due to off-gassing. Fret not, though, because after airing it out in the sun for a day or two, the smell will leave with no trace.
Some people will also clutch their pearls at the price. I understand, and for those consumers, there are other pillows that will suit them. I believe that good things often don’t come cheap and that the pursuit of a good night’s sleep is a worthwhile one so why not splurge on something that will last you years and years?
It looks like the Panda Life Pillow is the real deal. However, if you’re a little skeptical still, I’ve found some reviews on the world wide web that prove the claims. Here are some happy sleepers:
- I have always been struggling to find a pillow that stays cool but is soft like a feather pillow, but here it is. I have had mine for a few months now and have never slept better it keeps me cool but is still soft and supportive. Hands down my favorite pillow that I currently own! – Abby Otten
- I love these pillows! I have not slept this comfortably and well in years. – Wendy
- I love these pillows and think they are worth the money. I hate firm pillows and I hate ultra soft pillows –these are a magical middle-type. They feel luxurious. My husband also likes them very much and we normally like different types of pillows but again, these are magic. I think they even sometimes help my TMJ slightly. – laurafish919
Other Bamboo Pillows to Consider as Alternative
Here are some pillows similar to the Panda Pillow that might interest you.
ik Bamboo Pillow
Sleepers of all types will love this adjustable bamboo pillow by ik. Like the Panda Pillow, it has shredded memory foam that efficiently supports the body. The foam is cooling and breathable, as well. Unlike the Panda Pillow though, the foam’s loft is adjustable.
It’s 5-inch thick at its fullest capacity but if you’re a back or front sleeper who needs a thinner pillow, you can take out bits of memory foam until you have your desired loft. The CertiPUR-US Certified pillow has a machine washable bamboo cover that’s resistant to allergens and dust mites. It comes in king and queen sizes and you get 2 pillows with a single purchase, giving you more for your buck.
Coop Home Goods – Eden Adjustable Pillow
Like the Panda Pillow, the Coop Home Goods comes in standard, king, and queen sizes. The cover is washable and made with bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester. It’s fully adjustable, unlike the Panda Life, so all sleepers can use it. The soft pillow is filled with a gel-infused memory foam and microfiber blend.
There’s extra fill that comes with a purchase in case the thickness isn’t high enough for you. A 100-night sleep trial with a no-questions-asked refund is included, as well as a 5-year warranty. This eco-friendly bamboo pillow is also certified vegan and cruelty-free.
Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory
A completely zipper-free pillow, the Snuggle-Pedic’s pillow technology adjusts itself to your sleeping position. The Certipur-US Certified shredded memory foam fill relieves pressure and feels plush. The cover is made of breathable, micro vented bamboo viscose, polyester, and Lycra blend to keep you cool through the night.
The Snuggle-Pedic pillow is washable, hypoallergenic, and mite-resistant. It comes in 3 sizes, like the Panda Life, but unlike the Panda Life, it has a 120-night free trial and a 20-year warranty.
The right pillow makes a big difference when you’re trying to get a good night’s sleep. Having enough shut-eye has effects on your entire day, and therefore, your life. I think the pillow Panda Life made meets most requirements for a great pillow. You can get your Zs in while caring for the environment. The cool, breathable bamboo fabric in tandem with the cushy and supportive memory foam shreds makes for a luxe sleeping experience. And I’m sure the pillow will last because I can throw the cover in the wash with no worries.
Other Recommended Products
Best Heated Body Pillow: Sunbeam Heated Body Pillow Review
Hey Slumber reviews the best heated body pillow on the market by Sunbeam. We explain the features and benefits that make this pillow so comfortable.
5 of the Best Hypoallergenic Pillows – Suitable for Those with Allergies
Do you suffer from allergies which disrupt your sleep? Let's improve your situation and find you the best hypoallergenic pillow. This is what you need to know.