Getting a good night’s sleep isn’t just about choosing the right mattress, but it should also include the right kind of pillows too. For a more relaxing and comfortable sleep, investing in the best bamboo pillows is highly recommended. What makes this type of pillow a worthy option for that deep slumber you’ve always craved for? Let’s find out.
Pros and Cons of Bamboo Pillows
Bamboo pillows are named as such because of the bamboo fibers that were used in their casing. These are typically filled with shredded memory foam which can be customized according to your sleep preference. As with any other pillows, this one has its own pros and cons. Here’s what you need to know:
- Supports different sleep positions which is important to keep your spine aligned as you sleep.
- Bamboo is known to have antimicrobial properties which are important since this is where you will be sleeping on. Antimicrobial means that bacteria will not be able to adhere to the surface of the pillow.
- Another benefit associated with the bamboo pillow is that it is hypoallergenic. This is because bamboo is a naturally occurring material that is not exposed to chemicals.
- It has moisture wicking properties, so you don’t have to worry about waking up sweating buckets.
- Another benefit to a pillow bamboo is that it lets you sleep cool because the fabric is more breathable compared to those that are made from synthetic materials.
- Since bamboo pillows are usually combined with shredded memory foam which cause off-gassing.
- Non adjustable pillows, like the bamboo pillow, take a while to get used to.
- Another drawback to this type of pillow is that since it is packaged tightly, it may not reach its natural shape when removed from its package.
- The shredded memory foam filling can be a bit of a mess when adjusting.
How to Choose the Best Bamboo Pillow
Finding the best bamboo pillow might be tough for those who are shopping for one for the first time. Fortunately, you can narrow down your choices by taking these factors into consideration.
- Fill Material – Bamboo pillows are typically filled with memory foam which is known for its contouring properties. You can choose between shredded memory foam or solid core. The bamboo shredded memory foam pillow is adjustable since you can remove or add more filling. The solid core is usually cut into a specific size which is either flat or has contours to it.
- Maintenance – Bamboo pillows that contain shredded memory foam tend to be machine washable while the one with solid core is best for spot cleaning. Choose one that will fit your lifestyle so that maintaining it won’t be an added task for you.
- Price – You should also consider the price of the pillow as it can be a bit pricey because of the bamboo fiber use. The price will depend mostly on the size and the brand.
- Return Policy – It is also important that you check the return policy of the pillow which is typically 100 days. This is enough time for you to test drive the pillows to see if it is appropriate for you or not.
How Long do Bamboo Pillows Last?
People have been touting on the benefits of using a bamboo pillow to sleep on because of its natural fiber. But how long does it really last? If it will be used daily and washed every few months or so, the estimated life span of this type of pillow is around 1 to 2 years. This is just an estimate as there are ways to help extend its lifecycle.
But how will you know if your pillow made with bamboo fibers should be replaced?
- Lumps and bumps have started to form.
- The pillow becomes flat and doesn’t fluff up any more.
- Stains remain on the pillow no matter how often you wash it.
- You tend to sneeze because of the dust mites accumulating on the surface.
- You are starting to experience aches and pains on your neck, head, and shoulders.
That said, it is possible to extend the life of your bamboo pillow when you follow these tips.
- Cover it with a pillowcase – The extra layer of covering can help prevent dust and other particles from accumulating on your pillow. Wash the pillowcase every other week to get rid of dust mites, dander, oil, sweat, and dirt.
- Keep your pillows dry – Do not let your pillow get wet as this will cause molds to appear when it is not properly dried.
- Avoid sleeping sweaty and dirty – It is quite tempting to simply crawl to bed and sleep after a long day, but sleeping when you are still sweaty and dirty will not be ideal for your bed or your pillows. The sweat and dirt can easily penetrate your bamboo pillow which is bad in the long run.
Best Bamboo Pillows Worth Trying Out
Landing the best bamboo pillows is easier said than done what with all the options out there for you to choose from. As much as you would like to give them all a test run, you can start with these products which can help you sleep better at night.
Coop Home Goods – Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow
The first on this list of bamboo pillows which I consider as the best is one from Coop Home Goods. What makes it stand out for me is that it is an adjustable type of bamboo pillow that contains shredded memory foam for its filling. Since it is completely adjustable, it can be a good bed companion regardless of what kind of sleeper you are. This means that you can either add or remove the filling until you find the desired loft and firmness. You will be in perfect control over your comfort with this bamboo pillow.
Another reason why I added this here is because Coop Home Goods carefully chose the materials that will be used in their pillow. Its proprietary Lulltra Fabric is a blend of polyeter and bamboo-viscose rayon that makes it comfortable and breathable at the same time. You will get half a pound bag of filling which you can use to stuff some more on your pillow or use it as a container for any filling that you will remove from it.
- It is an adjustable memory foam pillow that lets you find the perfect height and firmness easily.
- The shredded memory foam it contains can be removed or added to so that it will suit the kind of sleeper that you are.
- Environment-friendly materials are used in manufacturing this pillow.
- Breathable and comfortable pillow helps you sleep better at night.
- One customer remarked that this pillow was too high maintenance as it comes with specific instructions on how to fluff it up and how to care for it.
- Another reviewer complained about the smell that it has.
- A user wasn’t happy about its lifespan as it started to deteriorate after a year of use.
WonderSleep Dream Rite Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow
Drem Rite shredded memory foam pillow is another option to consider for the best bamboo pillows today. Why, you ask? For starters, it is made from 80% shredded memory foam, while the remaining 20% is made from polyester fiber. This combination gives you more support and comfort all throughout the night as the foam can change to suit your head and neck’s contour. It is also completely adjustable so you will be able to remove or add more memory foam filling as you see fit. It doesn’t matter whether you are looking for a pillow that is soft or firm because you will be able to adjust loft and firmness just the way you like it.
The viscose rayon coming from bamboo and polyester makes this pillow comfortabe to sleep on, plus it will not make you sleep hot at night. This is due to the fabric being breathable, allowing more air to pass through to eliminate the heat trapped inside. It is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant which reduce your risk of having an allergy attack.
- The shredded foam used for its filling can be adjusted as you see fit.
- The combination of polyester and memory foam creates this comfortable pillow to sleep on at night.
- The cover is soft but thick because of the bamboo fibers present in it.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant which make this pillow safe to sleep on.
- The loft and thickness of the pillow may not be appropriate for some side sleepers.
- A reviewer commented that the bamboo pillow was still stiff regardless of whether she had removed or added fillings to it.
- Many are not impressed with the quality of the pillow including its price.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
The Snuggle Pedic seems to be another bamboo pillow to look into if you want one that will help ease any body problems that you may have. This doctor-created pillow is designed to follow your sleep position to give your head, neck, and your shoulders adequate support whether you sleep on your side or on your back. It comes with a removable cover which you can add to your laundry bin. It has Kool-Flow microvented cover that helps you stay cool at night. The cover is a mixture of bamboo fiber, polyester, and Lycra all of which adds comfort and support to the pillow.
What else is there to like about the Snuggle Pedic? It is hypoallergenic and dust resistant too which saves you from suffering from any allergies when they lie on it. There are no harsh chemicals used in the manuacturing of this pillow which is important to those who want to sleep on a pillow that is completely safe to use. It does come with a 120 night return policy which means that, if you are not satisfied with it, you can have it refunded instead.
- A doctor designed this pillow to help address sleep issues like aches and pains.
- Removable cover does wonders to extending the lifespan of this pillow.
- The cover is breathable which makes it quite comfortable to sleep on.
- Resistant to dust mites and it is also hypoallergenic too.
- One user had a hard time adjusting the pillow based on her preferred sleep position.
- It is a bit pricey for a bamboo pillow.
- The smell from off-gassing was quite strong that it rendered the pillow useless for a couple of days after receiving it.
LIANLAM King Memory Foam Pillow
Bamboo pillows like this one from LIANLAM lets you create the best pillow for your sleeping needs with its adjustable design. These pillows have zippers in the outer and inner layers to make it easier for you to access the shredded foam fillings. Its adjustable loft makes it a good choice for those who want a pillow that will work on various sleeping positions. I like the fact that you can remove or add more shredded memory foam filling to it and that there is an extra bag of filling when you purchase it.
What else makes this a good option as a bamboo pillow? The foam bamboo is infused with gel so that it will help you sleep cool. The fabric used on this memory foam pillow is made from 40% viscose rayon from bamboo and 60% polyester making it quite breathable. No sweaty nights to interrupt your sleep anymore. The pillow is ergonomically designed to offer you the support that your head, neck, and shoulders need so you won’t wake up with aches and pains any more. The machine washable outer cover of this bamboo pillow is also hypoallergenic which helps prevent any allergy attacks from happening at night.
- Adjustable design lets you find the right height and firmness depending on your favorite sleep position.
- Gel infused memory foam keeps you cool at night for better and more comfortable sleep.
- The fabric, which is made from bamboo rayon and polyester, is breathable so you don’t have to worry about waking up in sweat.
- Hypoallergenic and dust resistant which makes it safe to sleep on.
- One user complained about this pilow being too firm for her preferences even after she removed some of its fillings.
- The cooling effect from the gel infused memory foam wasn’t noticeable.
- The pillow started to flatten after a few months of use even with all the fluffing that one user did to it.
Hotel Comfort Premium Adjustable Memory Foam Pillow
If your idea of bamboo pillows are as soft and comfortable as those that you sleep on in hotels, then Hotel Comfort is your go-to brand. The inner layer has a zipper to it to give you easy access to the shredded foam pieces to remove or add more depending on your preferences. The fillings used here are certified to be free from harsh chemical components which is important for your safety and health too. It comes with a hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant cover so you don’t have to worry about being exposed to minute particles that can trigger your allergy.
You can get a 30 day return policy on this pillow which means that you have until a month to decide whether this pillow is the right one for you. If you do return it before the month is up, you will get a full refund from the company no questions asked. I can already imagine lying on a hotel pillow that has the right loft and thickness to it to help me sleep better at night.
- Shredded memory foam is easy to access since the inner layer has a zipper to it.
- Cover is hypoallergenic and even dust mite resistant which keep allergies at bay.
- A 30-day return policy is included for you to decide whether it is ideal for you or not.
- It is affordable compared to other bamboo pillows.
- It doesn’t keep you cool at night which can interrupt your slumber.
- A user complained that she had neck pains because the pillow tends to go flat after a few hours.
- Another customer wasn’t sure whether there was a bamboo ingredient used here because of its smell and quality.
If you are looking for the best bamboo pillows in this list, my choice is Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow. Snuggle-Pedic has designed its pillow to address any sleep issues that you may be having. This is achieved by giving you control over the loft and thickness of your pillow by either removing or adding more filling. The combination of bamboo-based viscose rayon and polyester makes this more breathable and comfortable to sleep on whch is a plus. It does come with hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant features which is a plus for any user. This means that you will not be inhaling or sleeping on minute traces of dust, dander, and pollen even that may trigger any allergies that you have.
Other Recommended Products
5 of the Best Thin Pillow Options | Expert Reviews & Buying Guide
I used to love thick pillows until I found myself having a creak in the neck in the morning. I had to figure out a solution and the best thin pillow for me...
Miracle Bamboo Pillow Review
I am very picky when it comes to the pillows that I use. As a combination sleeper I often have two pillows in my bed for extra fluffiness...