Elevating your leg while in bed has been found to improve circulation which is one of the reasons why getting the best leg elevation pillow is a great idea. This is particularly true if you have injured your leg or underwent surgery recently that will require your legs to be propped up.
What are the Benefits of Using a Leg Elevation Pillow?
Using a pillow to elevate legs has been found to be effective in post surgery recovery, but aside from that, using leg pillows at night comes with several benefits too such as:
- Alleviates back and leg pain – Aching legs is often a sign that there is no proper circulation going on in your lower limbs because you’ve been standing or sitting all day long. The pain is quite noticeable too as it tends to go up and down the legs as you toss and turn at night. Using a leg elevation pillow may help alleviate the problem before and during your sleep so you will wake up feeling refreshed. If you are experiencing back pain, using a leg elevation pillow may be the best course to take the ease the pain.
- Combats pressure – Lying flat on your bed puts unwanted pressure on your body, especially your brain, since sleeping flat on your back can put plenty of intracranial pressure on your head. This happens when there is not enough blood circulating through your body hence there is an added pressure on the brain. By propping up your legs on a leg rest pillow, there will be less internal pressure going on in our body thus protecting sensitive parts such as the brain.
- Minimizes swelling – Another benefit of using leg elevation pillows in your sleep is that they help reduce any swelling in your lower extremities. Most of the time, doctors will recommend that you keep your legs up in bed as this helps keep the blood flowing which can help fight inflammation caused by surgery.
- Promotes better blood flow – One reason why propping your legs up while in bed is that it helps improve the circulation in your system. Having your legs elevated ensures that the blood continuously flows and that there is no blockage or clumping happening. Your elevated leg will also help you sleep soundly at night giving you that refreshing feeling in the morning.
- Comfortable – Elevating leg often gives me that feeling of comfort as if all the weight of the world rolls off my shoulders. I have to admit that I’ve been elevating my legs since I felt relief at night and it is quite comfortable too after spending the whole day on my feet.
- Promotes better sleep – Like it was mentioned before, elevating leg does wonders for your sleep, especially since it promotes good circulation. When your blood is flowing correctly, it will also help you feel more calm and relaxed at night which leads to a good night’s sleep.
What’s the Right Way of Using a Leg Pillow?
Some people may not want to use a leg pillow because they are not sure how to one. Well, if you don’t learn how it works, how will you be able to reap the benefits of using the best leg elevation pillow? If you are wondering how a leg rest pillow works, here’s what you need on how to use it the right way.
- Choose the right leg rest pillow – It is not really advisable that you use pillows as leg rest because they tend to slide and lose shape too which can lead to back pain because of the uneven position that you are getting from them. This is why it is best that you invest in the correct leg elevation pillows to get the support that you need.
- Find a comfortable position – To use an elevated pillow for legs correctly, you need to place it in the right position under your legs where you will feel the most comfort. Your knees should be bent slightly so keep on adjusting the pillow until you find the right position that will not leave your feet feeling numb.
- Don’t rush it – As much as you would like to feel that your leg elevated pillow will work on you immediately, it might be difficult to transition to this sleep position. The best approach here is to practice using the leg elevation pillow while you are sitting or on an inclined position then gradually lie down fully while using the leg rest pillow.
Now that you have an idea on how to use a leg rest pillow for alleviating pain in the lower back, legs, and other parts of the body, I think it is now the right time to introduce to you some of the best leg elevation pillows that I came across.
Best Leg Elevation Pillow Options to Try
Finding the best leg rest pillow is one of the best decisions I have ever made because after trying one out, I realized that it was what was missing in my bed all this time. Not only was I able to sleep better, but there was no back pain, swelling, and aches and pains come the morning. Of course, it is tough to choose one from the numerous products up for grabs, but so far, I have narrowed down my list to these five.
Cushy Form – Post Surgery Elevating Leg Rest Pillow
If you are looking for the best leg pillow for elevation because of post surgery needs, then this one is for you. Made from memory foam that is known to follow the contours of your body, this leg rest offers support for lower back, hip as well as knee pain, and even having to deal with swollen feet. This leg rest wedge pillow is a great product that can help lessen the appearance of varicose veins as well as stagnating blood too. Another reason why you should get this is for post surgery recovery. Having good blood circulation does wonders for our body’s ability to heal itself.
Aside from the memory foam layers used on the pillow, you will be pleased to know that it also comes with a washable cover. Simply remove and wash in your washing machine and that’s it. I like that the fabric used here is breathable which means that you will not be sleeping hot or sweaty at night because of it. The ergonomic design helps you find the best position while you are in bed.
- Made from several layers of memory foam to provide adequate support for your legs and feet.
- Promotes better blood circulation as the ergonomic design puts your legs at the right angle to stimulate better blood flow.
- Reduces appearance of varicose veins and swollen feet.
- Washable cover makes it easier to maintain.
- One user remarked that the pillow was a bit hard and not very comfortable to use.
- Another reviewer commented that it was not ideal for short people as it was too high to give adequate support.
- A customer also reported that it did not have the memory foam feeling of softness to it which made their legs ache more.
InteVision Ortho Bed Wedge Pillow
Another option to consider for the best leg elevation pillows is the InteVision ortho bed wedge pillow. The first thing that I liked about it is its design which seems solid enough for me. From what I have learned, this leg elevation pillow is made from two layers. The base layer is made from a firm base foam that prevents it from moving around in bed. The top layer, on the other hand, is made from memory foam which adds comfort to the whole elevated leg experience. The memory foam does offer comfort when you sleep plus it doesn’t make you sleep warm.
Using this elevating leg rest pillow means having your spine aligned properly thus relieving your body from back pain since the lower back is flat on the bed. The latest model comes with bamboo covering that is machine washable and breathable too. I never liked the idea of having any bed accessories make me sweat buckets while sleeping and hopefully this one doesn’t do that at all. If you have been dealing with some aches and pains, or underwent surgery and needed help with the post surgery treatment, then you should try this one to help keep your circulation running smoothly.
- Solid base foam prevents it from moving around too much while providing support to your legs.
- Memory foam top layer helps keep your calves resting properly.
- Bamboo covering is easy to remove and wash for keeping it in good condition.
- Some users find that the length of the wedge pillow was too short for them that caused their legs to ache more.
- Another complained that this leg elevation pillow was not appropriate for those who are tall.
- Another user was not too happy with the memory foam as it caused his legs to sink further rather than offer support.
Milliard Foam Leg Elevator Cushion
Accidents do happen and when it does, it may be a good idea to invest in a Milliard foam leg elevator cushion to support sprained, strained, or even a broken leg. What sets it apart from the others is that it keeps your leg in a gentle 45 degree angle which is said to be the optimum position for the leg to promote better blood flow. In order to speed up the recovery period after injuring your leg, you need to keep it in a locked but angled position so that no blood pooling will occur. Fortunately, this elevating leg rest pillow is customized to take a hold of your injured leg and keep it in place while you sleep to prevent you from hurting it even more.
Instead of memory foam, this leg elevation pillow is made from dense polyurethane foam to provide support as needed. It is designed to hold either leg comfortably and at the right angle too to ensure that the blood will not be restricted. Additionally, if you are suffering from varicose veins or other leg issues, this product may just solve them. It has an ultra soft cover that can be removed and washed after a few weeks of use.
- Supports strains, sprains, and broken leg with its polyurethane foam.
- Keeps your injured leg at 45 degree angle which is ideal for preventing blood pooling.
- Targets a variety of aches and pains as well as varicose veins from causing harm to your legs.
- Ultra soft covering can be removed and cleaned in the washing machine.
- A user complained that it did not last long for its price tag which was disappointing.
- It is not ideal for those who are short since the pillow is too long.
- Another customer remarked that the foam was too hard for them.
LightEase Memory Foam Leg Pillow
Another option that I think will make a great leg elevation pillow for you is from LightEase. One of the reasons why I chose this product is because the dense foam doesn’t flatten easily, but it does give you enough support to keep your legs in place. It also promotes the 45 degree angle which has been found to alleviate the effects of restless leg syndrome, varicose veins, and edema too because blood is flowing better. If you have undergone surgery for a torn ACL, hip replacement, fibula surgery, or even femur replacement, you will need an elevating leg rest to keep your leg from moving too much.
Using this leg pillow can help raise your leg from 10 inches to 12 inches which is a good height to help keep the blood flowing throughout your body. Elevating leg also improves your recovery time which I think is one of its biggest advantages. You can use it with your recliner by simply putting the larger end at the foot off the recliner while the opposite end is positioned facing the seat.
- Memory foam layer gives your leg added comfort while keeping it in place.
- Raised up to 12 inches off the ground, the surface is positioned at a 45 degree angle to keep the blood circulating.
- Can be used with a recliner, sofa, or bed even.
- Ideal for those who have undergone surgery as the elevation lets blood flow better.
- One user complained that the wedge pillow is too tall for them that left their feet aching the following day.
- Constant use can leave an indentation on the material.
- Another user complained that they slept hot because of the memory foam.
Lounge Doctor Elevating Leg Rest Pillow
Another option for leg pillow that I think you will enjoy is the elevating leg rest pillow from Lounge Doctor. It is the only elevating leg rest pillow that has a patent to its design which is a plus. The shape of the pillow helps support and speed up the recovery time for your injured leg. The open cell constructions make the pillow breathable and comfortable to use. If you are experiencing back pain, restless leg syndrome, or swelling even on your extremities, you will find the Lounge Doctor to be useful in treating these ailments with just a bed wedge.
I like that it is made for different purposes such as alleviating pain while giving support to the leg especially when it is injured. Using this product as you sleep at night may help ease the pain that you are feeling when you lie in bed, but it also helps improve blood circulation which promotes faster recovery.
- This pillow is designed to alleviate common aches and pains like varicose troubles, sprains, strains, lower back pain, and others.
- Open cell construction of the foam allows air to circulate.
- Improves circulation to reducing swelling.
- Washable cover makes it easier to maintain the wedge pillow to elevate leg.
- A user complained that it wasn’t high for their height.
- Another commented on the price being too expensive for an elevating leg rest pillow.
- On user was not too happy with the quality of the foam used for this bed wedge.
Finding pillows that will give your legs support as you lie in bed can be tough to do especially when there are tons of options. But since we are looking for the best one, I suggest the Lounge Doctor elevating leg rest pillow. The overall design of the bed wedge appears to contour to your legs easily. It comes with a washable cover that lets you keep your wedge looking great. In addition, the open cell construction on the foam makes it more breathable for a comfortable sleep at night.
Although the price is a bit expensive, I think that the support that you will get from this elevated leg pillow is good enough.
5 of the Best Thin Pillow Options | Expert Reviews & Buying Guide
I used to love thick pillows until I found myself having a creak in the neck in the morning. I had to figure out a solution and the best thin pillow for me...
Aloe Vera Bamboo Body Pillow Review – Everything You Need to Know Before Buying
Do you consider buying the Aloe Vera Bamboo Body Pillow? Read our review and you will know if it is going to improve your sleep or not...
Best Wool Blankets | 5 Top Options & Buying Guide
Who does not want to spend cold winter days and nights under the best wool blankets? 5 options that guarantee cosiness, comfort and warmth and how to find the...
5 Best Contour Pillow Options for Neck & Head Support
It's time to blame your pillow if you've been constantly waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Consider our best contour pillow picks if neck pain...
Best Bed Rest Pillow | 5 Top Options for Reading & Relaxing
Who doesn't look forward to the end of the day to relax, sit up in front of the TV on the bed and take it easy. Finding the best bed rest pillow...
Panda Life Pillow Review – Everything You Need to Know Before Buying
If you consider buying a bamboo pillow, the Panda Life Pillow is definitely one to consider for you. We tell you why and what to consider before buying...